1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Dryer diagnostic help

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 14, 2021.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, in this guy’s defense, what you described is a GE Slimline loadcenter. I wouldn’t put one in a house I wanted to be hit with Jewish Lightning. They’re that bad.

I would budget for a replacement, but I wouldn’t pry the thing off the wall for no other reason than someone said it is too old.

Now, a Federal Pacific loadcenter, those are always good for a fire damage claim. FHA won’t underwrite a loan for a place with an FPE loadcenter.

beac83 likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Spent the last 2 hours trying to troubleshoot a Maytag dryer to no avail... It's electric, model HYE3658AYW. Won't start, pressing the momentary start switch it sounds like an electrical buzz/hum from the motor. The usual suspects all seem to test ok- the 2 thermal switches right before the heating element, the heating element itself, the door switch makes the light come on/off in the drum. Belt is ok and with the drum removed the motor seems to spin by hand with minimal resistance. Really hoping it's not a $300+ motor...

3. Tristan

also found and checked the cycling thermostat, timer resistor, and breaker on the motor housing- all good. Clues on how to test the motor itself ?

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Check the motor capacitor.

5. Tristan

Thanks. Where might that be? Only thing I see on the motor is the "auto-resetting breaker" right next to the main connector.

6. Tristan

don's see any capacitor listed on the "motor +drive" schematic for my model

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Cap may be integral to the motor. Without knowing the pacifics of it, if there’s no cap in the wiring diagram or parts list you’re probably looking at motor replacement.

8. Tristan

I'm afraid so- I can see all around the motor pretty well and not seeing any cap. Now to decide whether a $200 motor makes more sense than a $100-150 used working dryer...

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

If you're handy try wiring the motor to an electrical cord to bypass all the other stuff so you can isolate it
    The motors are usually 120 vac, double check the nameplate to be sure

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Not in an electric dryer. 240v motor.

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Mine is 120
    The element is 240
    It's an old dryer, not sure if that matters

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That don’t make no sense.

Old dryer circuits didn’t have a neutral. If there wasn’t a transformer in the dryer to generate a neutral, it would have to use the ground as a neutral, and that’s a big no-no. No way that would pass a UL lab.

New dryer and range circuits are 4-wire with a neutral, but that code was put in because people were using them for multi wire circuits and using the ground as neutral.

13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

When you buy a new dryer, and you will eventually, buy a Speed Queen, no matter what it costs you.

14. Go on Amazon and by a new heating element that is a kit, dirt cheap and has all the sensors as well. Just swap them all.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

All of what you say I agree with but here's the motor, says 120/60
    https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-279827-Dryer-Drive-Motor/dp/B00DM8JA5S

16. Tristan

I wish the motor for my dryer was $65... but you are correct that it's 115V. This is the cheapest one I found https://partsdr.com/part/w10410996-dryer-drive-motor?model=HYE3658AYW, ordered it and a new belt as PM. As I mentioned earlier, the heating element and other sensors look/test good and the rest of the unit is in nice shape.

17. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Replace the power cord.