1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thumb brake/Finger brake

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dillonjohnson, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

Been wanting to try one for a while. Looks like IMA and Qnium make a few. They all seem pretty expensive 5-600$+. If I went to a finger brake style wouldn’t I just be able to use a 13-14mm hydraulic clutch master and hook it directly to the rear caliper? Can get brembos with shorty levers pretty cheap. A qnium finger style setup is 6-700. Kinda hard to visualize while sitting on the bike whether a thumb or finger style would be more comfortable aswell.
    Anyone used either, both? Recommendations?
    Riding a 22’ R1

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'm going down the same path right now and leaning towards the ima from superbike unlimited. The quality of the product seems top notch and the mounts available also make it easy because you can pick fork mount or handle bar mount.
    I'm normally one that will make things myself or find the cheapest option but this seems better to buy to me.

3. Dillonjohnson

I’m not concerned too much about the price, but if I’m able to buy a clutch master and shorty lever for half the price of one that’s labeled as a finger brake, then I’m going to do that. I would think a clutch master is the same but I can’t find any info on it.

Really curious on who have tried a thumb and a finger brake and their comfort ability of either or..the IMA does look great, I talked to Freddy about it. I’d be removing the rear pedal and master altogether most likely.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I purchased one but I haven't not installed it yet, it's a lever-style from Galespeed, not thumb.

My initial thought was to have something similar to how my mountain bikes have been setup, but rethinking it some, it'd be nice to have a full 4 fingers of grip rather than 3 + one to actuate the brake. Maybe. Still mulling it over.

http://www.acv.co.jp/products/01015/detail/66584

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  5. noles19

From what I've seen on videos from westby is the thumb brake had a couple more uses because it's easier to use the thumb brake for anti wheelie than the lever brake and a couple other things

6. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I tried the thumb brake. Didn’t like it as it was very on/off and numb feeling. I switched to a set up like Jonathan Rea had with a scooter style lever and moved the clutch lever up since I only used it for starts. I liked that way better but didn’t use it for stopping only to manage the wheel spin and front wheel lift since my 14 GSXR didn’t have any traction control/ wheelie control.

Never felt the need to use the rear brake on my R1 so can’t comment on bike specific stuff

8. Dillonjohnson

where were you able to find this at?I find them online but they all look like they’re right hand side, so front brake. Can’t seem to find one reversed for the left side.

9. noles19

10. 57x

57x Out riding

I'm happy with my Discacciati thumb setup. I deleted the pedal.

11. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

I found them here, part numbers are VRC14X-17L and VRC14X-17LS (shorty lever)

https://www.webike.mt/products/24279071.html

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

13. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

anyone got any pics on how they managed to fit another device onto their left clipon? took a look at mine and im not sure how id be able to fit a left hand brake lever along with the clutch lever, apex button pod and right hand brake lever adjuster. I noticed that attack did away with their left side button pods when they fitted theirs and fabbed up a nice little bracket for the lever adjuster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Dillonjohnson

This is how mine looks. I have plenty of room. I actually have a 16mm brembo clutch, I think I’m going to try with a shorter lever. If I can adapt to it I’m probably going to look into getting something smaller like a 12 or 14mm. But for now this will atleast give me an idea.

Attached Files:

15. 08yamyam

08yamyam New Member

Both rear brake assistance is for the person using comparability i feel. I have GP TECH on my R6 and love it. Liked it so much i decided to sell them. Didn't like the part of two leavers myself.

16. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Jump to about the 3 minute 15 second mark and then can see an example setup...

dudutzu and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  17. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member