1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing TRS in a toy hauler question

Discussion in 'General' started by kwikknight21, Jan 29, 2023.

1. kwikknight21

kwikknight21 Well-Known Member

If you have a toy hauler and have the trs system installed, how did you anchor the plate to the floor? Some people online are just using short screws and that seems like a terrible idea. Thank you for your input.

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Believe it or not, properly sized lag threads in 3/4" ply are enough. I wouldn't, but it's enough.

Use the bolt kits and instructions that come with it. Stepped washer under the head of the bolt and the fender washer under the floor. Do NOT over tighten.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just measure out on the floor where you want them, and look underneath, making sure you are not drilling into the frame, wiring, or tanks, PRIOR TO DRILLING THE HOLE. :D the only reason I say make sure you are not drilling the frame, is to avoid a hard drill through, or interference with the bolt, washer, or plate on the backside. washers or plates on the backside, for more stability isnt a bad thing. Ski

5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I made sure to hit a steel floor crossmember for 2 screws on each plate. Drilled and bolted all the way through with large fender washers on the backside for the bolts that are just through the plywood floor. Its rock solid and will never pull through the plywood.

6. kwikknight21

kwikknight21 Well-Known Member

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Obviously, the job is made easier when you don't have an enclosed underbelly, but I'd through-bolt.
    A backing plate would be better than washers. The backing plate should be of a different size than the topper/mounting plate. Round its corners and put a taper on the edge of the mating surface.

8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

tanks are usually between the axles. the "good haulers" with the garage at the back of the trailer, has almost no chance of hitting anything but, crossmembers. you just need to look before you drill. measure, look above, below, look for landmarks, verify, measure, mark, check again... drill. Ski

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Also, after you've measured twice....still drill a small 1/16 hole and put a wire down just to verify from the bottom that you measured properly.

kwikknight21 and Phl218 like this.