1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM truck tuning

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Jan 28, 2023.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've got a great transmission repair guy, who grew up in his Dad's transmission shop. He's solved shifting issues on several of my vehicles without much expense. I would start by working on the source of your issues, if it was my truck.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Shifting issues with those trucks is a known by GM. Their only solution so far is a transmission fluid replacement to another fluid. Both fluids are Mobile One products. Personally, I’m wanting the transmission in my 16 GMC flushed and changed to Amsoil fluid.

5. Once a Wanker..

Corvette shifting solenoids can solve some issues, with GM transmission shifting problems.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

HP Tuners

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Shoot me some info, I need a guy.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Best solution possible is a skinnier brake pedal and another pedal installed to its immediate left. ;)

Pride & Joy and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Skip the tune via log file guys and find a local or local-ish shop to actually tune it.

I used Diablo and a web guy “errybody” loves. It sucks.

iagsxr, ducnut and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Message sent @418

418 likes this.
  11. For an off the shelf 5 Star with the HP. Both 5 Star and HP have been great with me customer service wise. I made a couple changes to a buddies Camaro earlier in the week. I spent a fair bit of time to learn the software even though it’s pretty simple and user friendly. Just be careful if you do edit files!!!

12. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I put a diablo tuner with a diablew custom tune on my 2015 6.0 6 speed. The difference in the shifting alone was worth it, Throttle response was greatly improved. I suppose there might be a few extra ponies but nothing earth shattering.

Side note, my truck has adjustable pedals, and last summer I thought the truck felt a lot less responsive, especially when pulling the RV. I later realized it was because the pedals had somehow got adjusted all the way down to the floor. I still feel like the pedal position affects the throttle response, like somehow the linkage ratio is affected somewhat by the pedal location.

Once a Wanker.. and cpettit like this.
  13. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

100% agree with this. I’ve noticed the same thing on 4 different GM trucks I’ve owned. Pulling the pedals just a little bit off of all the way back and they seemed more responsive.

14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

After I get my trans fluid changed. I’m looking at the Banks PetalMonster. Anyone have real life experience with one.

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Have had diablo with Lew, wasnt earth shattering. I mainly wanted it, to get rid of displacement on demand, v4 to v8, shuffle on gm v8s. All in all... not worth the coin. I have the banks derringer, cai, and pedal monster with i-dash on my 17 D-max... getting rid of the dead pedal, and having 90 extra hp when wanted, is nice. Ski

cpettit likes this.
  16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

All good info thanks. Except for @pickled egg, everybody knows the new autos are better than manuals. Shifting is for poor people.

pickled egg likes this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah. That’s why I’m on here asking for a tuner recommendation for my truck. :Poke: :Poke:

:crackup:

tony 340 likes this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Red Line transmission fluid also works wonders.

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

For you late model GM truck 6 speed guys...did you do the TSB on the transmission thermostat yet? It lower the trans oil temp from like ~185 down to ~155. Easy to swap in driveway.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I fixed my truck by buying a ram w.cummins

pickled egg likes this.