1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull restraint mounting

Discussion in 'General' started by prospected, Apr 28, 2019.

1. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

You can put the floor plates closer than 6" apart if you want. You'd just need to turn both handlebars the same direction(push bike #1 in, turn handlebars to right stop, then do same to bike #2). I do that regardless of how close the bikes are, because it gives me more room to get between the bikes(and I need more room than I used to). Just be sure to straighten the bars before pulling the bike out the latches when you arrive. You can also stagger the bikes if you have multiple rows of bikes and get them very tight.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you overtighten the bolts, you'll actually warp the floor plate(not crush the mushroom spacers). You can fix that by flipping the floor plate over or replacing it. Of course you'll also need to make sure you don't overtighten the bolts the second time. It doesn't take much torque at all. In destructive testing the bolt heads gave out before the washer underneath was an issue, so the oversized under floor plates are more useful for uneven surfaces(pickup truck beds) than for extra strength under a plywood floor. That said, in 15 years I have yet to see the bolt head pop off anywhere outside of that testing facility so I doubt anyone will experience that in the real world.

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

People just assume tighter = stronger:rtfrb:. The tensile strength of a 1/2" grade 5 bolt is 120,000psi. Times FOUR on a TRS bracket. So lets just say it's slightly more than a 500lb race bike on its side, :crackup:.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I made my own mounting system based on the one you posted. Same thing, didn't want the "Stubbed toes" factor as we use the trailer for general camping as well.

Trailer Mount.jpg

BigBird likes this.
  4. Cooter!

Looks like a solid set up you made that fits above those D-rings in the floor.

Bugslayer likes this.
  5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This is an old post but, for anyone who has done this, what type of metal and thickness do you recommend?

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I simply used the washers that came with the system... I have been hauling 2 TLR's and various other 600's, 1000's over the SE for the last 5 years and they have not budged in any of the 3 I have. ... I checked them last year and everything is as solid as when I put it in back in 2018. Loctite the nuts and you should be good to go...

DmanSlam and gapman789 like this.
  7. Cooter!

Mine came with fender washers and nylon locking nuts. Installed as purchased, no overtightening, no overthinking, no armchair engineering, no problem.

pjdoran, DmanSlam and gapman789 like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

scrap diamond plate?? If youre sandwiching plywood... some butyl tape on the road side if you wanted to be super obssesive

DmanSlam and Razr like this.
  9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@TLR67 , @Cooter! , @TurboBlew : Thanks. I've been using larger fender washers on my for a few years now. Haven't noticed any slop or free play since then.

So, was curious if, in the event of an accident or rollover, would they pull through the wood flooring if not braced with plywood or a metal plate.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would say that would depend on the upside down impact force... If your thinking that way you just need to invest in your Life Insurance and keep tiedowns IMO Lol....

TurboBlew, DmanSlam and gapman789 like this.
  11. Cooter!

IMO any cargo trailer wood floor is plenty (as long as its not rotted, of course). But if you find yourself on your lid, I'd hope they total it all.

Do you trust D-rings now? Go look under your trailer at how the existing D-rings are mounted. My bet is a fender washer, and using 2 or even just ONE bolt (not four)... AND under spring tension from the forks, and using an old fabric strap as a connection to the bike. Honestly if your trailer is on its side, you'll have bigger issues, like your loose generator, gas cans, tools, refer contents, and pots and pans, that flew around and did more than scratch the plastics.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    TurboBlew likes this.
  12. Cooter!

Ok I went a little down the wormhole. But found some very interesting stuff.
    This:
    Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.51.55 PM.png
    From here: https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/lag_screws_in_wood_pullout_resistance_15390.htm

This is for lag screws in 3/4" plywood and the punchline is that it's about 77,000psi ultimate tensile strength for pull through for EACH lag bolt. Thats so much farther beyond whats necessary I just quit looking.

I'd confidently say a fastener with a backing washer could do much better at pull through than any lag threads. Heck, I routinely move 700-800lb fully dressed V-8 engines with (4) 5/16"-24 studs in aluminum (carb plate).

13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Even the most meth head produced garbage of enclosed trailers has floor channel framing about 16" OC. A 1/2" or > piece of plywood has plenty of structural support in a situation like that. I always tend to forget some folks are unlucky with snow/salt conditions on the roads when they might be towing early in the season. Also Ive seen people want to secure the "front" of a bike in a TRS with something like a Baxley or fixed floor chock and they wont hear any discussion of it being worthless or troublesome.

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

The Meth Triangle is real !

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Cooter!

Good for the worriers:) But it's not something "Pitbull now uses", it's an option available to buy, for truck beds.

Fun Fact: Like those plates Pitbull sells, when we do roll cages, the top and bottom sandwich plates for the down bars are not the same size. That reduces the chance of them shearing through.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member