1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MA 2023 Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 29, 2022.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

.... to once again languish in 12th-15th place on a Honda but hey....if it pays the bills I guess...

2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Sucks to suck I guess. I for one do not understand the hype behind Jake Lewis. He's midpack AT BEST on SBK. He was super lackluster on the M4 team after years of trying.

PJ, Richie, Cam P, those dudes are up there in the 3rd spot after Cam B and Gagne.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

He was the top finishing Suzuki in the championship and beat his team mate, Escalante. He also had one podium while his team mate had none...

I would like to see him on something other than a M4 Suzuki. It's kind of hard to judge the rider when the package is of unknown quantity. It'll be interesting to see what Elias can do on that thing.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorry but, one podium and he was top Suzuki finisher? . . Maybe it was time for a change for the team and him?

The Great One likes this.
  5. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Crazy huh?

If your name wasn't Gagne, Scholtz, Petrucci, or Petersen you essentially weren't on a SBK podium last year.

Table scraps for PJ, Hector, Lewis but nobody was ever really in the running on a consistent basis.

I really like Ritchie and to be fair to him - we was thrown into the SBK ride with next to no notice and given his Marquez-like aggression on a bike - it ended up costing him some costly trips to the gravel traps last year. Confidence and physical condition both took a big hit I'm sure.

Jake's been on a Suzuki 1000 for what - 4-5 seasons now?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thing about that: with Hector I felt he was a washed up, almost was on his county fair retirement tour but, gawd damn, he punched way above that and he forced me to become a fan (again).
    I’ve become very cold toward the racers in MA the last few years because I just don’t know most of them. I like Peterson but that’s because I knew his dad way back. Yates? Same thing but I’ve said maybe 2 words to the kid ever.
    Nah, I’ve gone all cold and corporate towards the racers today. Produce or get out of the way, we’ll slot in someone who can. :(

7. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

A problem we see in MA is highlighted with m4, we have legit 1 or 2 teams capable of consistently winning week in week out. It sucks that the uncontrollable has seen m4 go from the main 2nd contender to the 4th best team (havent won a race since 2020) but it is what it is.

Going back to 2015 we have had on average 2.5 winning teams per season, with a high of 4. Since Factory Yamaha and Suzuki changed over we have had only 4 winning teams and only 3 winning teams a season. Attack has won 48 of the 60 races. HSBK has won 6, and Wesby / m4 has won 3 each.

I am not super familiar with BSB but it seems they have had 7 teams win races a season for the past 2 seasons and 5 the season before that (not sure if their 3 races a weekend are legit races or they have superpole or something like that).

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I have wondered about M4.
    They have the biggest presence in the paddock, but maybe their resources just get spread too thin between so many riders classes. Or maybe the Suzuki GSXR1000 is just not to par anymore for SBK.

CR750 and 418 like this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think JU needs to load all of it on ship go to Ireland etc and race the roads.:D

TLR67 likes this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Sat on the couch in 2020, he won the superstock championship in 2021 and 2022 was the first year back on the Superbike with M4.

Tough crowd in here. Not too shabby in my book.

TX Joose, Namarow, TLR67 and 4 others like this.
  11. 392

392 Well-Known Member

The business is tough. That is not a secret. $ comes first and then talent. Anyone posting in this thread could be on whatever MA team they want if they can write the check.

I personally like Jake and think he is a good guy. But that doesn't guarantee shit. Elias brings more $ and has more talent than Jake. Same thing for Richie, brings more $ and has more talent.

12. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

honest question for those that know. Did Yosh builld the bikes for M4 when they were the main Suzuki team or has M4 always built their own bikes. It seems like they lost a lot when Yosh left the paddock.

13. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I remember seeing a picture of the Yosh bikes at the scrap yard gettin' CRONCHED.

In Paasch, and Jake Lewis defense, they're riding a bike that hasn't been developed from the OEM since what 2017? The other OEM's have really stepped up. Meanwhile Suzuki is seemingly just stagnant in regards to OEM development, and maybe racer support? (I don't know the answer to that in regards to what help M4 is getting from the OEM, much less the Disrupt or Altus teams). In BSB (where IMO it's potentially more equal footing due to the electronics) The BuildBase boys finished 15-16th respectfully in that series, I would argue that Ryan Vickers and Danny Kent are both some world class talent as well.. National SuperStock has Charlie Nesbitt finishing 8th, and had a absolute killer race in Cadwell Park. However that Suzuki still got whomped on by Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Yamaha, and even the Aprilia (which in SuperStock trim is forced to run no TC/WC and has been nerfed similar to the V2)

FWIW I am potentially way off and just blabbering from a space ship view of what's happening in the paddock. However, its clear that BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, are working to develop their machinery from an OEM level to be more competitive as a race bike in STK1000, and SBK.. as well as Honda and Kawasaki (everywhere except USA from a full on SBK standpoint)

Suzuki is just like "yo check out the new colors"

One more thing that's gunna make me sound even more dumb.. I have sat on a few GSXR1000's and TBH they seem the most comfortable to me and I really wanna try to race one. lol They're somehow super narrow and compact, and I don't understand. I am a small'ish guy, and it's taken some decent tweaking to get my ZX10R where I feel good.

Also, if you want riders to pay for their seat, just start a sports car team in IMSA or GT Challenge shit and just leave a flyer at every dentists office in a 100 mile radius..

The Beer Hunter and TLR67 like this.
  14. 392

392 Well-Known Member

Do you know how many riders in the MA paddock actually get paid? You can count them on your hand.

No need to start a team in IMSA or GT challenge.

Rance Taylor and koth442 like this.
  15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Two pretty fast guys tried them in STK 1000 last year and gave up after 3 rounds. Is Yates still on his?
    Im pretty sure it’s the other way around-M4 was building the Altus bikes. Although I was told Eric Grey (Altus Crew Chief) built Brandon’s 1000 last year.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Which is interesting considering it was completely revamped in 2017, and the R1 is basically the same bike from all the way back in 2015 (with a small update in 2020 but nothing major from what I recall). The R1 hasn't seem to have the same issue of aging gracefully.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Some of the r1 updates have been really big for racing and how to get the bike to work I believe.

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yates has been on a BMW for a couple seasons now

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The GSXR1000 is still very capable. There's a reason why Gilbert and Gillim race it even without a contingency program.

20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

if i heard correctly (podcast), Aussie Dave has purchased Jake Gagne's bike from last year from Attack to run this upcoming year