1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

It depends on what you think your max shots will be. Pull up ballistics charts and that’ll give you more info to choose. I use a 6.5 creedmoor and my bud uses 308 hunting very large fields but if we were hunting tight areas I’d drop down to my legend or 223

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I'm reading that it was originally a short & medium range round. I expect accuracy out to 300 yards but when harvesting my shots would not never be that far.

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Some people avoid getting new calipers in their collection like the plague where I actually look forward to it. I think 458 is a cool round but like all rounds that fit into an AR 15 platform it’s limited. Ammo is tough to get but if you reload it’s no problem. 300 yards looks to be a reach from a trajectory and energy stand point but 200 is totally doable. If you build it please share pics and info. What I find really impressive it’s designed to use a short barrel. Like SBR short. Although that brings on its own disadvantages legality wise.
    Shit just saw we’re neighbors. Fvck pics I’ll come shoot it lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  4. New calipers are way too expensive.

:D

StaccatoFan, Steeltoe, Razr and 2 others like this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If ya can't afford the Brembos, ya can't afford to win. ;)

It's my understanding that the 458 was made for suppressed pistol length ARs, same as 300BLK. Outside of that, I only have a visual to go off of and it looks like a pointed-slug shotshell. No one's using shotguns for distance. If you want heavy grain (600g) bullets and distance in a semi-, get a .50BMG.

6. speedluvn

I read that the 10 1/2 barrel is ideal for the 458. It can also be suppressed. I was looking for a complete upper but what I saw was mostly 16 inch barrels.
    They claim hunting and home defense using the same lower as a .223/.556.
    Further research shows that the brass cartridges, around a $1 each is the most expensive consumable.
    A tad confused as to whether they use large pistol or large rifle primers. I haven’t gone into researching actually loads just yet.
    The 458 is still considered a new cartridge. A couple of manufacturers make dies for them so it’s catching on.

7. speedluvn

I love the 300blk round. It’s why I’m so interested in this 458 SOCOM round.
    Loaded ammo is anywhere from $3 to $5 per round.

8. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

At $3-5 per round .458 Socom can go right ahead and FOAD! That's .50 BMD territory.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Unless there’s a noticeable problem with 14.5 pin/welded I’d probably go that route to avoid the SBR crap especially in MD. That said a 10.5 barrel can make 29” with a longer buffer

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I realize it has been two weeks, but I got a notification that they have the 17 rd. Competitor in stock. I will have to run up there and check it out.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If you have a .22 wheel gun or bolt action Elley is the way to go for consistency and accuracy.

Plinking and semi auto then go for a hot
    22 load.

The Elley I had for my bolt rifle wouldn't cycle my son's .22 Kimber.

For 9mm any old range load will work. Ask to borrow a pistol rest at the range and you can test accuracy of different types of ammo. Most likely they'll all group pretty closely.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Anybody seen the the lever action AR lower bond arms is coming out with? I will be putting this on the must have list.

14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t want a rev limiter on my AR

15. Damn I forgot that I need one of those.

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

a lever action AR? whyyyyy ...

This isn't mine but going to order one whenever Dad's triumph is ready at the ATL dealership and he comes up. we're both going to order one .. little father son outing

[​IMG]

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Yeah make my lever action case hardened , octagon barrel , iron sights and 45-70. One that I’ve always wanted but have yet to grab.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I don't know man, there's something about old school blended with modern that can be pretty sick. I kind of want one myself. I'm also a fan of restomod superbikes too though so this is probably kind of a theme with me.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

A mag fed lever action opens up an entire world of ammo choices in places where semi autos are restricted.

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member