1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Living in California makes all this really easy. You can’t have any firearm that is new or cool in any way. Lol.
    Actually, that’s not entirely true, you can to an extent with $$$$$.

I really really want a CZ Shadow Orange but I don't want to pay $3500 for it while the rest of you can grab one for around $2k.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

ammoseek.com will show you current prices at multiple sources. There's a handful of places with good prices, but nobody is gonna have the best price on every bullet all the time.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

new shooter here as well, well new shooter for fun - all I had previously was self defense ammo; what cheap 22 LR and 9mm rounds for range use should I be looking for? I see the ammoseek.com site and that makes sense to navigate pricing. But what grain and brand does the beeb recommend?

4. Tristan

I mostly agree but after recent issues I'm concerned that I got a bad batch of MiniMags... 5000 of them. Just yesterday my wife was using them in her GSG 1911-22 and had the first squib I've ever encountered. Must have been a really weak charge- the bullet poofed out (range guy actually heard it and went over to see what was up) and he found the bullet intact and believed that it bounced off the target and back to her (not sure I buy that one). I've had a LOT of issues with my new TX22, and until yesterday I chalked it up to break-in but now wonder about the ammo. It seems to do better with some SuperX and Velocitors but still not flawless.

5. Tristan

None of my 9mm's give a crap what ammo you feed them, the cheapest steel case stuff has been fine. 22's are a much different story...you need to try a few and make sure your gun functions with them, then you can shop for a case of it. They're both really cheap right now.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

F**k!! Glad she’s alright!!!

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Have they implemented the online ammo tracking via credit card codes yet? I remember that was a coming thing a short time ago.

8. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I've been shooting the cprn mini mags and have had good success with them. No misfires and one misfeed with approx 600 rounds through a Glock 44 and TX22. Good advice on the LRN, I'd prefer to spend more time shooting and less time cleaning.

How many rounds between cleanings do you recommend?

britx303 likes this.
  9. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I've put 400 rounds through a rental TX with only one misfeed and am considering buying a TX. What issuers have you had?

10. I knew that was becoming a thing with certain credit cards being used for gun purchases. I didn't know it applied to ammo also.

11. britx303

With our 22 pistol we are cleaning every 300-400 rounds. Any more than that and it starts getting less than reliable. But a clp blast every 100+/- while at the range keeps it running without a hitch. We typically only shoot around 200 rounds each range trip with it, since we are practicing with other pieces as well. So roughly every other range trip it gets a cleaning. 22 is dirty so I wouldn’t skimp too long on cleanings

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  12. britx303

SuperX’s……..is that the red boxed Winchester? A few months ago we picked up some boxes of a red box Winchester 22 from Wally World but haven’t shot it yet. Not sure now what it was called

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

I bought some a while back and its been unreliable for me with those superX. Getting the occasional failure to eject, misfire's, etc from it. I wonder if i have a bad batch like @Tristan has with the minimags because im 99% sure that every other brand its been working fine.

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

that used to be one of my go to before the pandemic (ahhhh the good ole days), then they were the worst prices for a couple years!! Their 9mm prices are getting better as of recent

15. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Agreed, the prices got out of hand for a bit but I had enough on hand to not buy during the worst and I reload a lot of 9mm so I don't buy that often anymore.

sanee likes this.
  16. Tristan

Mostly misfeeds, and a LOT of them. Usually afterwards I drop the mag out and the bullet is sticking straight up out of the mag. The way the mags feel when loading I suspect mag issues. I've cleaned and lubed the shit out of the gun and mags. Maybe 10% of the mags I've put thru it have fired all 16 rounds without issue. Guy at the range said they recently sold 2 tx22's; one has had a bunch of issues and the other has been flawless. Mine is going back to Taurus if it doesn't start acting right soon. On an unrelated note- the Vortex Venom works nicely on the tx.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  17. Tristan

Yep, 100 round plastic boxes.

18. Tristan

I'm tempted to buy another CMMG .22 conversion kit for the AR(s) if nothing else to have another 3 mags. It's the only .22lr I have that doesn't care what I feed it or if I clean it much.

19. Tristan

While we were at the range Sunday I rented one of their machine guns- don't know the brand, but it was an AR with a .22lr bolt and a can. INSANE rate of fire and it was so quiet and stable I swear my full auto BB gun is more violent.

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What does anyone know about the 458 socom? I'm collecting information at this point. Looking for an AR hog hunting gun. I also hear that it destroys critters at & below 100lbs. I would be reloading this caliber so price per round (pricey round) wont be an issue. I'm considering a complete upper. I can even use the same mags.

I'm not into impulse buying, anything else?