1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yea/ Nay Ducati 998 just driving buy for sale

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Jan 17, 2023.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

+1
    Life's short and this is a way to check off a "dream". Also, basically everyone responds to the "meet me in the middle" type of negotiation. Bring him $5k and ride it home. Unass it if you don't like it.

KneeDragger_c69 and ducnut like this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Well, it needs a new chain for starters. An owner that can't grease a simple chain drive should raise questions about the rest of the bike...

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Give the chain a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and wd40 and it might be fine. Just surface rust.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately its South Florida by the beach, everything is vulnerable to rust with the salt air and humidity

ducnut likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup. Salt air will add the appearance of tens of thousands of miles to all exposed metals.

ducnut likes this.
  6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

It reeks of hackery, tell him you’ll give him 7k to save the bike from the Cletus that’s neglected it..

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I see you finally remembered which couch you put your retirement savings in.

rd400racer and Phl218 like this.
  8. Captain Morgan

Don't worry one night drunk about 3 weeks ago, got a call for an official night on the town, decided it would be smart to hide all my credit cards and drivers license and worst off my work credit card, couldn't find them for the life of me. Canceled my cards, ordered a new DL, told the captain I lost the card. One week later turned over this little box and they were all there. Have no idea what I was thinking, but if you need a fucked up genious place to hide small things apparently I'm the man

ducnut and rd400racer like this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Thanks for the info,If I buy it, might pm you for further details, I don't plan on taking it to the track, will get an R6, or something not 20 years old for the track. Just putt around on an old bad ass bike with a lot of character

KneeDragger_c69 and ducnut like this.
  10. fastfreddie

My Memorex has blank spots but I'll share what I can.
    Tracking that thing is what it was made for! Well, maybe not a biposto. :D
    Putting around, you're gonna roast your weenie. :eek:

11. Captain Morgan

Not a tech guy, took some close ups, looks like slip on but 20 years unwashed can't tell. On the phone said it was a full exhaust. Also Google imaged the year and bike, can't find the same logo paint scheme. RED FLAGS. It's not a deal breaker for me, just want some ammo when we meet up to lower the price
    Heard these old ones have issues with oil riding long wheelies

12. Captain Morgan

Will send pics later

13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That's what I told him. These bikes are HOT and not happy in any kind of traffic. And wrap those damn pipes or you'll have burns on your right calf.

fastfreddie likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They have issues with oil and flaking rockers and ground out cams.

So don’t wheelie it.

2-valvers are better for hoinking whoolies on anyways.

rd400racer likes this.
  15. Captain Morgan

Might be an issue, like 1 first gear bounce up stand up wheelies

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

How well have the resale values of Ducs held up? If a nice example of a 916 were to surface, what is a realistic price for it?

17. Captain Morgan

Is this a full termi exhaust or a slip on????

Attached Files:

• ex1.jpg
      ex1.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.jpg
      ex2.jpg
      File size:
      113.7 KB
      Views:
    • ex3.jpg
      ex3.jpg
      File size:
      103.7 KB
      Views:
    • ex4.jpg
      ex4.jpg
      File size:
      126.2 KB
      Views:
    • ex5.jpg
      ex5.jpg
      File size:
      151.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Captain Morgan

Got to love a ducati, or triumph, maybe Apriia baled out on the tail end. Was super impressed with their last bike⁰

19. fastfreddie

Slip-on.

The color of the midpipe is the first indication. The number to the right of the spring ending in ...701A is confirmation of an OEM part number.
    ex3.jpg

ducnut, Phl218 and YamahaRick like this.
  20. fastfreddie

I occasionally look around to see what my '01 996S is going for. Prices have gone up quite a bit lately, some for more than original retail, some not. Maybe 5 years ago, half that. I don't see the prices coming down.
    BAT will show you some previously sold models for quite a bit of coin. Most accessorized in one way or another - not necessarily good, not necessarily bad. I think you have to be "in the know" to tell if they're worth the asking price. Some I wouldn't touch, but they still sell for stupid money.
    A totally legit early 916 has got to be a unicorn and priced accordingly, but I don't look at those...I'm not a collector. ;)

ducnut and YamahaRick like this.