1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 gsxr 750 track fairing to frame mount advise needed.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dtrides, Dec 29, 2022.

1. dtrides

dtrides Active Member

Looking for suggestions/examples of how folks attach the side of the fairing to the frame?
    There is just a factory hole in the fame casting where the body work mount lines up.
    I currently have a rubber washer with a expansion nut jammed in the middle but it isn't the most secure.
    I have looked around the internet and not come up with a good solution.
    Thanks! DT

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've never used the factory hole...ever. one more thing to deal with when you wreck or need to make a quick repair between sessions.

track bike....either leave it or zip tie it to the rail of the frame. i've done both over the years.

DmanSlam likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This.

DmanSlam likes this.
  4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

My bodywork came with a couple of pieces of delrin that fit there. If not for that, I would probably just ziptie it.

gapman789 likes this.
  5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I made a little 'L' bracket out of a piece of aluminum and drilled small holes in the frame. It is a track only bike so not worried about holes in the frame.

There are delrin inserts that go into the factory hole in the frame, but i can't remember the exact name or where to find them.

I use those inserts but threw an L bracket on to make them very secure.

GSXR fairing mount2.jpg GSXR fairing mount 1.jpg

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I ziptie mine to the frame through that hole on the fairing. In the event of an off, the ziptie pops instead of the fairing breaking.

kirk erlinger likes this.
  7. micchael6

micchael6 Member

Mine was with the rubber washer but the b-bike as a drilled hole and tie-rap at the same place.

8. dtrides

dtrides Active Member

Thank you all for the suggestions.
    On the body work I have it is the main connection for the upper other than one small bolt to front stay so I would like to do something better than a zip ty.
    I also really don't want to drill a hole in the frame to add a new mount so I will continue my search for the proper derlin bushing that has been talked about.
    DT

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

why would you drill a hole in the frame? there already is a hole there near your knee. for a track bike, most of us dont utilize it because it's just an unnecessary step when working on the bike. if you do a Vortex upper fairing stay, you can switch to a rivet S-clip and DZus like i did on mine. it's better than using a bolt when you're in a hurry. the only thing my missing bolt by my knee does is hold the air duct in place better, but i choose to not use it.

10. dtrides

dtrides Active Member

See above suggestions.
    If I ever upgrade the body work I will go to Dues fasteners. Thats what I did on the wife's track bike.
    I don't race anymore , just doing track days, so saving a few seconds to remove body work isn't a high priority at the moment
    DT

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I remember some tippy top teams in AMA and WERA in 2006 and 2007 used...

A zip tie.

I bought bodywork from Morse Racing at the time and they included a Well Nut and long bolt as an option. I still preferred a zip tie.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

A good sized ziptie is surprisingly strong and sturdy. Extremely secure. Never had one come off, without crashing, in all the time I've been riding track. I'll toss up a pic when I get home because my fairings don't have that screw on top in your pic.

13. gapman789

Assuming it's a salvage title or BOS race bike, drilling an 1/8" hole with an L bracket attached to the fairing, makes it very easy to remove the fairing with a T handle allen key.

I actually drilled 2 holes in the frame, but 1 would work.

My little method is just a little more secure than a ziptie.

14. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I have plastic barrel style stays which are secured to the bodywork and utilizing stock rubber grummets on the frame. I have two right an and one left, $20+shipping and they are yours.
    FF7BC583-B8F4-4DE3-8DC0-5BD10EC06679.jpeg

15. dtrides

dtrides Active Member

PM incoming.
    Thanks!

16. gapman789

those are it....I have some in spares boxes but was too lazy to take a picture of them.

Depending on how well you mount the bodywork or how well the bodywork fits overall, will play in part in how well the plastic inserts work....Often times they end up being at an angle and will pop out of the frame. That's why i went with the L bracket screwed into frame.