1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long shot: snowmobile engine

Discussion in 'General' started by HookieRooker, Jan 16, 2023.

1. HookieRooker

HookieRooker Active Member

One of my co-workers is big into snowmobiling and unfortunately had a catastrophic engine failure his first trip out this year. Funds are tight, just trying to help him get back up and running he loves snowmobiling like we love racing. I've seen what this community can do. Any help or insight is appreciated. Any used motors out there?

The sled is a 2012 Ski-Doo GSX SE with a 600 E-Tec 2 stroke engine.
    Thanks in advance

Located in the Chicagoland area, but he often travels to the upper peninsula. Or I'm sure shipping could be figured out

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

You can try King Blunder in Fort Atkinson WI. They're a sled salvage yard / shop. It can be a little rough around the edges there, but I won't take my sled elsewhere. Call during the day, it gets very busy there after work and on weekends.

https://kingblunderenterprises.com/

4. HookieRooker

You guys are awesome! Thank you! I will pass this info along

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do they still use these engines in any of the SCCA classes? That might be a source.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Buy a Polaris!

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Can they even sell them yet with their fuel pump recall ?

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

How bad it it pop? Being a 2 stroke I'd at least pull the cylinders and see what's going on. Perhaps pistons and replacement cylinders will get him back going rather than sourcing an entire new engine.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. HookieRooker

He said it shut off while it was running and is completely seized.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fixed....

969 and YamahaRick like this.
  11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I was so hoping this was about building a bike with a snowmobile engine for the Clubman class.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Could still be just top end.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

There is nothing worse than wrenching on snowmobiles.... They are all junk.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

How to Prepare for Snowmobiling
    1. Go to your local snowmobile dealer, smile and give the first guy you see $500. This will get you used to spending money there on a regular basis.
    2. Fill a 45-gallon barrel with sand. Lower it into a hole. Now lift it out. If you can, add water to the sand and try it again. Do this 5 times per day. This will get your back in shape for lifting your sled out of the deep snow.
    3. Tie a rope to a heavy-duty spring. Pull the rope repeatedly with each arm until the pain in your shoulders meets somewhere in middle your back. This will get you in shape for starting your bud's sled, which he conveniently forgot was out of gas. It's best to do this exercise while someone is spraying starting fluid into your nose and eyes also.
    4. Drink four ounces of cod liver oil mixed with a strong laxative. Dress with long underwear, wool pants, snowmobile bibs, insulated boots and heavy coat. Walk far into the woods without any paper products and wait for a personal emergency. This get you prepare for the Beer shits that come out of nowhere, and at the wrong time.
    5. Place your hands in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes. Put the carburetor from your lawn mower in the bottom of your deep freeze. Now climb in the deep freeze, shut the lid and overhaul it while holding a pen light in your mouth. This gets you prepared to work on your sled in the freezing cold and black of night. Advanced riders do this with a leatherman tool.
    6. Dress up in your new $400 snowmobile bibs. Pour 2 stroke oil down the right leg, gasoline down the other and Peppermint Schnapps and Beer all over the front. Fill your boots with ice cubes and ask your wife or girlfriend to dance. This will prepare her for the stops at the local bars during a ride.
    7. Put on a Balaclava and a full-face helmet. Attempt to drink hot chocolate through the opening. Advanced riders attempt this while riding a lawn tractor over in the nearest farmers' plowed field.
    8. Find a place where you can pay $5.50 for regular gas; $29.99 per litre of oil; $16 for a Hamburger and frozen French Fries; $3 for a coke and $160 to sleep in a cold cabin on a bed with springs sticking through the mattress. Stay for two nights, minimum. This will prepare you on the high cost of your future winter trips.
    9. Practice explaining to your banker why you need another loan for a $70,000 truck to pull the four $20,000 sleds, on your
    $15,000 trailer that you still owe $50,000 on.
    Now, you are 50% ready, and somewhat conditioned to head for the trails and ride your sled.

15. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

That’s funny and mostly true except these days gas at $5.50 seems like a bargain.

16. Sprinky

Pull the head, super easy to do, and take a look see at the cylinders and pistons. I’ve never had any doos but I do seem to remember seeing some grumblings about having to use isoflex grease on sealed crank bearings on a somewhat regular basis. Good luck. Last winter I broke a piston skirt and holed the case on my Polaris 700. Ended up buying a rebuilt engine off of flea bay.

skidooboy likes this.
  17. Sprinky

:D
    Very true. But having a fuel injected two stroke get on the pipe with a good picked track makes it almost worth it :D

Banditracer likes this.
  18. HookieRooker

Lol thanks for all the replies. I tend to agree with the rant posted above. Winter sports are not my thing, but I will pass all info along. The sled isn't here or else I'd tear it apart for him. Again, thank you everyone for the insight.

swissrcr likes this.
  19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I know you probably know this but, he may not. find the root cause, or rebuilding may result in the same outcome, in short order. crank seal leak, carb/tb boots etc. doo's have the super expensive isoflex grease in the lower bearings, as noted above. make sure to check the lower end, bearings, crank for play/run out. Ski

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

It's the winter equivalent to seadoos. Get ridden WFO 90% of the time, by complete muppets (myself included) with zero preventative or reactive maintenance ever. :D. Fun though!