1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations needed - Lasik Surgery - ATL

Discussion in 'General' started by GA Buckeye, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Suicide due to dry eyes? Ummmm, no sorry. Yeah their can be complications but that story has nothing to do with lasik no matter how hard they try to push a connection.

2. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

XFBO, Lasik will affect your reading vision due to correcting your myopic(nearsightedness). The myopia masks the inability of your lens to accommodate for close vision. Tje lens gets more rigid as we age and doesn't bend as well.

You can have what's called monovision performed for reading. It's done in your non dominant eye.

They still cut a flap for lasik. PRK is where they remove the top layer of the cornea, then shape the stromal layer of the cornea. Prk is a slower visual recovery and more painful post op.

XFBO likes this.
  3. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

Nobody really has an "old" laser anymore. They have a new way of making the flap with a Femtosecond laser that some places will try to upsell you too vs the old mechanical way of creating the flap.
    Some places get you in the door with 299 lasik but it is for 1 diopter of correction with no astigmatism. In reality, it cost nothing extra to treat higher prescriptions.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who replied to my specific questions..... Back when I first looked into getting it done in NJ, several different folks asked me if I was using reading glasses already, I wasn't and they seemed to suggest I will need them after the procedure, that's why I asked.

I was in Orlando, Fl last week, they have billboards advertising $250/eye.....I joked I'd get my eyes fixed while on vacation, wifey didn't go for it. :D

5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Bump for an update from any people who had LASIK. I am considering it now and want all the info
    I can find before having someone laser my eyes. Particularly interested in northern NJ - eastern PA area.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I got 13 years out of mine before I had to go into readers and I am borderline for that. I can get along without them but more comfortable with them. I'm am close to 50 so I'd call that just aging eyes and no real fault of Lasik.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

21 years since having mine done. I am 65 now and require readers. Best money I have every spent.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Ugh, same boat. I've been supposed to wear glasses for the last ~25 years but never do, but the thought of someone shooting a laser in my eye skeeves me the fuck out.

Buuuuuut, everyone who's had it done says it's the best thing ever.

10. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

upload_2023-1-17_8-22-51.jpeg