1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk fasting

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 25, 2017.

1. I was personally a fan of the Argentinian Beef Liver tablets. But I had to stop taking them. With my pre-existing tendency to generate too many red blood cells, taking those would throw my hemotocrit numbers in the high 50's before a cat can lick his ass.

On most of the bottles it specifically states something along the lines of "helps boost red blood cells" or some shit like that.

gapman789 likes this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

You guys got to much time on your hands, unless its for religion, just eat normal, healthy, take in less calories than you burn each day??? Sounds like a fad, like most diets are, like dry January is the newest trend

Wheel Bearing and Jed like this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Down the hatch....send help if i don't post up in a day or 2. :)

liver.jpg

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

If it hasn't already been posted, here is a great podcast on extended fasting.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-fitness/health/extended-fasting-to-heal-the-body/

Some of the excerpts were amazing regarding the studies on it. Drops BP by 60 points in people with HBP, more than any blood pressure medication could do, helps with chronic autoimmune issues, etc.

I did a four-day one. I never felt any "worse" than I did after 4 pm on day 1. Never felt any more hungry, uncomfortable, etc. It was easier than I expected. Especially as I get hangry pretty easily normally.

wsmc42, Rising and Phl218 like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Whoo. Fasting is soooooooo avant garde! So trendy! So just super-fucking-duper!

Meanwhile…

Attached Files:

gapman789 likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you had a four day hanger management seminar? :crackup:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelynes son has the same issue and same deal, donates blood every few months.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I wonder...are there alternative treatments, because...well...the body adapts to everything we do. If we are regularly skimming off excess, won't the body just make more, faster? Or is this the only option because they haven't figured out a way to make the body slow down production. Does someone on this treatment plan see an increase in the rate they have to skim off the extra, in the long term?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Best I can tell this is the only option. It's also not a consistent thing, he'll start feeling a certain way and go give blood. I think some of it is diet related but not 100% sure, could also have to do with working out a ton which he does.

10. Unfortunately mine isn't considered a donation. Because of all the countries I have been in, they won't accept it. They have to discard it.

11. There is a fix for it, bone marrow transplant. So obviously taking some blood out periodically is the better option.

Personally, I haven't seen any increase in the regeneration rate. Yes, the body just makes more blood...but it doesn't "adapt" in that sense. Meaning, the body doesn't say "I am low now, I need to make more and fast". New blood is generated on a steady rate, that is why the frequency of phlebotomies stays consistent for me (~3 months).

They check my hemotocrit number every time I go in. If it is below 44, they won't take any. But it never is. It is always on the high side, so they take some. As long as I come back in the same time frame, the number will be about the same and it has been like that for years.

Obviously I am only speaking from my own experience, not saying that is how it is for everyone.

I am also on Enalapril blood pressure medicine. Technically it is an ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor. Between taking blood out and the Enalapril, my blood pressure stays ok. When I get it checked it will be around 136/86 or so. I know that is still higher than some people's, but for me that is good. I've had it check in the past (before doing any treatments) and it has been as high as 196/112.

I have never smoked, might drink 5-6x a year, exercise every single day when I am not traveling, and don't eat bullshit. I just have high BP, it is what it is.

BigBird and lopitt85 like this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that. I was curious as to how that worked over time.

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Has anyone told GG he is eating wrong yet? I missed it if you did. :Poke:

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

A youngster on my crew at work, mid 20's, fit as hell, workouts daily even after doing hard physical work all day (concrete biz), packs healthy meals to work everyday...He'll eat a salad while others eating bags of chips and cold pizza....and his BP is high. On meds, has a hard time getting his CDL medical card because of it. Like you, he 'just has high BP.'

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

In some parts of the world, they'd like it to become a fading fad.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My cardiologist says he's more concerned about the difference between systolic and diastolic numbers. This may be my particular case...I'll have to ask him about it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmm, never thought to ask if his is a donation or not.

18. Hopefully it is. If we gotta give blood anyway, it might as well be used for good.

But with so much time spent in Africa, they won't accept mine. I might have cooties they don't know about. :D

lopitt85 likes this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for the review of 2017 fasting techniques. Haven't heard as much about this in recent years. I tried keto a few years back and was miserable. A few friends who went hardcore keto back around the 2017 time frame lost lots of weight, now are in renal failure. Maybe not related, of course.

I started Fresh N' Lean last week. I'm subscribed to the Paleo plan, 15 meals about $140 delivered. Roughly 400 calories each, but they are more filling than other meal plans I have tried with similar calorie counts. Food is delicious, though.

Gotta cut out the diet sodas next. I've been on Dry January, only 2 drinks since the 1st. But I've been guzzling a liter of that Diet Dr. Pepper every day and it makes me feel like shit.