1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Killer Cold

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxernaut, Jan 15, 2023.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The quick freeze that came around Christmas time seems to have had devastating effect on a lot of plants around Nashville. A ton of foliage that usually stays green all winter seems to have got bitch-slapped pretty hard. This picture is a bunch of bushes we've had in our yard for 6 years now. I'm worried they may not recover. We also have a bunch of plants in other parts of our yard that are not looking happy.

Anyone else seeing this kind of stuff?

Plants.jpg

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Scratch one of the stems with a fingernail, if there is green, it will come back. If its brown, it’s dead Jim.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't trash them just yet.

Nature does some unbelievable shit.

Saiyan66 and Banditracer like this.
  4. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Don’t pull them out, if anything, trim them down a good bit and when it warms up again put some good fertilizer and mulch around them along with some great plant soil.

gixxernaut likes this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

One less thing to mow around George:D

Banditracer likes this.
  6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Just an update, those plants were only "mostly dead." After conferring with Miracle Max I trimmed off all the dead leaves and branches that were obviously done for. The shrubs are making a comeback. We weren't so lucky with some of the other landscaping. Just got back from the nursery with several hundred dollars worth of baby shrubs to replace the dead ones lining the front of our house.

Here's a picture of the baby foliage coming back up from a couple of them. We have I think 7 of these plants in total.

upload_2023-6-4_16-42-30.png

Jon Wilkens likes this.