1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a grown up computer bag

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Jan 11, 2023.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Any nice laptop bags that a professional man would carry? Like messenger bag,.or?? I think my wife's company branded computer backpack bag needs to be retired.

As a secondary referral, any good wheeled carryon bags that carry a laptop?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I have had this for about 10 years and it's served me well, looks professional and gets a lot of compliments. Does not hold a ton but that's fine by me. Does not hold a shitton like some so keep that in mind.

https://a.co/d/c1XisrQ

As for carry on I have an Ogio that has been bomb proof. For flying however I never put my computer in the carry on Bag. They get beat up and from time to time gate checked and I wouldn't want to loose or break the laptop.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I carry a leather messenger bag as a daily.

If you want to spend the money, Saddleback, Orvis, and Duluth Trading make a fine bag that look better with age and are classic styling. Personally I like the Orvis Bag

You want an elegant look that's still tough as nails, go with a Tumi.

Amazon sells a pretty nice entry level bag from a group called DHK. It's tanned goat leather and you'll get a couple of years out of it. It looks ok but it's not built like a fine bag is.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Needs a CC spot?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My main was a saddleback leathers bag and it was awesome until it Got way too heavy, so I Carried a small tumi laptop case/ laptop case as a second. Switched over to an Oakley backpack with the tumi.

DrA5 likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Following for some advice as well.
    I’d like something that looks cool, yet not too douchey. Some of the leather messenger bags I’ve seen scream “Look at me; I need attention. I’m a pretentious asswipe.”

8. ChemGuy

Yeah. Ona long trip with lots of walking thru airports with extra crap in mine i curse that beyotch. but it will survive a nuclear war so in know I'll never have to buy another one.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, first trip with it it got hooked on the back of a cab and dragged maybe 70 yards. No damage at all. Lol

but it’s like 10 pounds on it’s own, throw a laptop in it, paperwork, files and travel shit and it turned into 20 plus.
    Fourth or twenty fourth trip around the world (or what seemed like it) the backpack and small nylon briefcase (which fit into the Bp) just made more sense.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

joec likes this.
  11. sdg

sdg *

Timbuk2
    Real messenger bag, actually great on a bike, neutral styling.

12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I use a Ducat branded TUMI messenger bag and like it a lot.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

this

14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

If you don't want leather, I like my Timbuk2.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I bought a Mission Workshop rolltop messenger bag ~10 years ago so I could carry my laptop while riding to work. I hate the feeling of a backpack while riding, because of the way the straps pull on my shoulders. The mission bag I got is fully waterproof, in case I get caught out in the rain. It's been an awesome bag that has been all over the world. It makes a great day bag when on vacation, as we're always wanting to take stuff out with us and/or buy things throughout the day. It sits flat on my back, so when empty I don't notice it at all, and it expands so much we can really cram alot in when needed. My only complaint is I wish it had a cell phone pocked on the chest strap.

17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I havent thought about that, but it may be something to consider, as I usually just want it on me, and not in a bag, but might be an idea worth investigating.

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The saddleback is nice but jogging through EWR/IAH isn't fun at all. The Tumi Warren's are really nice since they have the sleeve that will fit over your carry-on handle.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit, forgot I started off with a cheap roller briefcase and that lasted the first leg of a trip before the handle broke. I then got a roller Tumi that was great for hauling shit for trade shows and when you had to haul a ton of shit. That thing is great

So, don’t buy junk, it’s not worth it and it’ll leave you F’ed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  20. ChemGuy

Agreed. One end of DTW to the other isnt fun. Nor is one end of Term E to Term A in ATL.

They do make a strap, leather color coordinated, that keeps it on a roller bag. 1st thing I bought after getting mine.