1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Bikes. Are they murderous?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 8, 2023.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've done multiple hour rides at Santos with a standard bike. You could do it. It's flat.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Pedal assist e-bikes are the shit. I seriously have more fun on this thing than just about anything on two wheels. I don’t have much experience with the throttle stuff, most of those seem super janky but I’m sure there’s some quality stuff out there.

768A81C1-89F5-4ABE-9C63-07416C0D59FE.jpeg

MELK-MAN and Phl218 like this.
  3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

As far as safety : Rad Power Bikes is one of the top selling brands. They've had multiple lawsuits against them.
    The latest one was due to defective rim strips. Came from whatever country that builds them {most companies are trying to get away from China due to lockdowns causing supply shortage}with twisted rim strips causing unexpected fats.
    Then there are the exploding batteries/chargers.
    Next you have some of the Chinese made bikes that come with the brake levers that are switched from the standard, front being on the right .
    It's a lot to do with customer education.
    Way to many people getting into the sales & rental business that have no idea what they are doing, just trying to make a fast buck.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

As far as I'm concerned , throttled bikes should be limited to 10mph . People as using them to get around having a car. I see them past my shop all the time with no attempt to pedal.
    And some of them are derestricted, which makes matters even worse.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

20 minutes! Good lord Greg, get your shit together:crackup:

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

That's nice. Which model is it?

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I snapped this pic at the KTM hall in October. Note the motor manufacturer. I read that they supply motors to a lot of the e bike companies.

IMG_8228b.jpg

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Looks sweet but I'm guessing 10k

ToofPic and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

11. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

My wife's Giant e bike has a yamaha motor.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Giant E-trance E+ sx pro . Pretty wammy-jammy, top end forks, coil spring shock, only 500wt battery though as it's a few years old. i think all the Giant e-bikes have yamaha motors.
    Details: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/showcase/trance-e-sx-pro

Former roadracer Dave McEnery and Moroso track record holder, owns https://bikesportbicycles.com/ shop here in FL and can give DISCOUNT for any Giant bike, can be delivered right to your house. call him if at all interested in what Giant has in stock.
    PMooney Jr owns a bike shop down here too. He and Sr pedal a LOT..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    PMooney Jr. likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

there's "could", and there's "would" .. decisions. :) LOL

:crackup::crackup:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    stickboy274 and PMooney Jr. like this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a Liv (women's division of Giant) eMTB a couple years ago and it was a great decision. I bought it to help her climb the larger hills when we go down to NC, but it ended up making an even bigger difference around here. On her pedal bike, she lacked confidence to climb some of the hills that were badly rutted or had too many roots sticking out. Now with her ebike, she is inspired to give it a try as the assist will help overcome any momentary lack of power to get over those obstacles.

Her bike was ~$4k new and I paid $2k used. It's been a great purchase.

Photo and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's maybe the equivalent of buying a brand new Ling Long 234 for $1,899.99 to join your friends that all have WR250F's and KTM Exc's. You'll technically be out there trail riding also. Perhaps you'll make it back. Perhaps it'll fail the first or 13th ride. On the positive side it'll be a miserable ride while it works.

17. MELK-MAN

indeed, and i think the big factor that is a big plus to Ebikes, with variable power settings, is how they can make a group of riders (or 2 riders) of different physical ability.. a tad more equal. Faster rider can bump power assist down, less physical/talent riders can bump up the power setting a bit, and they can all stay together a bit better.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Agreed. Her bike is so easy to use. Normally she's on like 1/5, but if she sees something difficult ahead, she's happy to bump it up to 3/5 which is usually all she needs even with a steep section. She's actually been hesitant in the past to change gears because she doesn't want it to upset her flow, but the motor setting changes are nearly instantaneous, so she'll use them more.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Ok, real Beeb question here, for you all following this thread. I'll ask the same thing in the 'Mountain Bikes!' thread.

I've been discussing the pros and cons of an e-pedal assist mountain bike for a few months now, on @Trainwreck's 6/'20 'Mountain Bikes' thread, and am following this one closely, also. I will likely be buying one soon, and would like to get more information from those of you who can offer it up, as @brex and others have, on the other thread.
    Should I start a new 'E-Mountain Bike' thread? This thread was started by @motion because he's looking at considering adding them to his rental fleet. Different focus than buying for one's own personal use and care. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot on this thread, and enjoyed reading most all of it.

So, Yeay, or Ney, on a new thread?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023