1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Endurance

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by regularguy, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll have to run through my notes but nothing major affecting the normal classes (ULW/LW/MW/HW) that I can think of. Probably some normal cleanup/clarification of issues we ran across last year. We'll be meeting soo to sort out the Relay stuff as well as PIRC and so on.

2. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Any discussion on limiting tank capacity?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There has been discussion but I am adamantly opposed to it. That is also the kind of thing that would NOT be spring on people just before the season starts. Anything that major I'll let people know about it a full season ahead of time as I've done in the past with other things.

4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I have question on how red flag works with scoring.

Quick scenario…
    2 bikes are on the same lap 100 say 10 seconds apart. First bike passes start finish and is now on lap 101 then red flag is thrown. Second bike did not make it to lap 101 because it was 10 seconds back.

When race restarts is the second bike 1 lap down?
    Does race scoring stop as soon as red flag is thrown and not more laps will be registered even if a bike is coming out of last corner and comes across the finish line after red flag is thrown?

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

oh hell. here we go.....

Shenanigans, No Brakes and noles19 like this.
  6. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yep!!!! I just want to make sure I understand the rule.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Has nothing to do with where the flag is thrown and more to do with where the overall leader is.

We can't separate overall scoring and class scoring so when it comes to red flags the way we get to the last time the entire field crossed the S/F line is to go on the overall leader. We delete the last lap for them and anyone between them and the red coming out. If they would have been the next bike to the line then of course nothing happens but that is pretty rare.

Now what can and does happen is if you're racing for the LW or MW class lead and the leader has lapped you but not your competitor then they will be a full lap up on you following a red. No way to avoid it without running effectively 3 races at once which would then make for no overall scoring and sorry but that is a part of it I don't want to get rid of.

So if the overall leader is between those two bikes 10 seconds apart the one behind would lose a lap to the one ahead.

Of course you could have checked the rulebook.....
    32. When a Red Flag is thrown during an endurance race:
    a) All scoring will cease. When the red flag falls scoring will be backed up to the race leader’s last completed lap prior to the red flag, and all subsequent lap completion times will be dropped.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did you read the rule? It's really very clear and hasn't confused people for literal decades.

9. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I did but this is the part I wanted to make sure I understand.

"Now what can and does happen is if you're racing for the LW or MW class lead and the leader has lapped you but not your competitor then they will be a full lap up on you following a red. No way to avoid it without running effectively 3 races at once which would then make for no overall scoring and sorry but that is a part of it I don't want to get rid of.

So if the overall leader is between those two bikes 10 seconds apart the one behind would lose a lap to the one ahead."

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still goes back to the main rule as in the book - the leader and anyone behind the leader loses their most recent lap prior to the red. If you're behind the leader and they aren't, you lose it and they do not.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It makes my head hurt thinking about it, but since I can't control it who cares? Like most problems in racing, the solution is to go faster.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Why not go back two laps?

13. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Greg, simple solution....don't let the leader pass you and problem solved.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't change the issue any, you can always wind up with the overall leader between two people battling in class.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I prefer no red flags :D

StaccatoFan, TLR67, IL8APEX and 4 others like this.
  16. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Hey Sean just wanted to know if you could clarify something real quick.

The WERA schedule says August 11th and 12th which I’m assuming means there is an endurance race on the 11th and another on the 12th.

The N2 schedule says there is a track day the 11th and race the 12th and 13th.

Do you happen to know which schedule is correct?

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Read through the posts. WERA and N2 are meeting (at some point) to decide what format that race will
    be in. Whether it’s a night race or a combined day/Night, 6-10-12-24 hours. That’s what we all are waiting on.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly, at this point both/neither are correct. Hope to have it sorted today but it may be next week as I need to work up some possible schedules and see what will fit then run them by everyone. We'll announce it as soon as we have it sorted out, we know people have to make plans.

Kyle Brosius and 50Joe like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still working on details for PIRC (highly unlikely for more than a 6 hour for the first time going longer in quite a while, ramping it up seems to be a better idea) but the rules are up. Warmers can be plugged in but you will need to take a portable genset to the other side of pit lane to do it and get it removed when first call for the restart goes out. 5 people over the wall. Relay class is still happening. Nothing else major.

William Schneider and mpusch like this.
  20. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

Sean, we appreciate the warmers ;) If Pitt is a one off round and has a big purse, make it 8 hours, not a 4 hour sprint/practice for professional teams the following weekend. Then for one of the normal rounds, look at all of the data you have from the past century :) and whatever track has the least red flags make that a 6 hour.