1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Endurance racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Jan 5, 2023.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.... Kids cup came out of the R3 cup we did, triple crown morphs to baggers and such and now endurance racing.

You're welcome MA :D

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why are they limiting strategy options? If someone wants to run the whole race without stopping, they should let them. That would make things more interesting.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think they believe the stop is the entertaining difference compared to a normal sprint so they're forcing the stop to happen.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. Once a Wanker..

Perhaps the races will not be long enough to really need a rider to pit for anything. Would then just be a stop and go for most riders, perhaps?

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

They could just throw a 'competition caution'.

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Sounds like a way to get more teams to run the 200. Equipment would be needed for the rest of the year, and it would be good training for the rest of the season as well.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Based on the article, that was an afterthought.
    Yeah, and I'm not sure a stop-and-go adds much to the entertainment. I think the most fun would be to find the race length that would make a non-stop run barely viable and let people choose. Now THAT is how you make things exciting. Someone with a tighter budget is out front on worn tires and running on fumes while someone else is chasing on fresh tires swapped by their fast crew and has just enough laps to have the target in sight on the final lap.

10. Once a Wanker..

You mean something like a 200 mile race?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're not doing the 200 without stopping for at least fuel so no, that's not what he's saying.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not at Daytona, that's for sure.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey they're going to try something different so I'm happy to see if it works out. And if it rains during the race it could be even more entertaining.

418 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  14. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

The distance will be such that fuel won’t make it. Assuming double race distance from current, since only 1 race on those weekends. Guessing you will need fuel and at least a rear change (but maybe not). The longer the better for me! Even at my ripe ole age!!!

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

[​IMG]

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

"...She said that a tire change and refueling are not required, but the pit stop and intervention time are required, so teams can choose their own strategy (i.e., just the rear tire and no refueling..."

That was the part that led me to believe that a non-stop race could potentially be doable if not for the mandatory pitstop. I guess I did not consider the possibility of two pit stops with only one refill.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Looks similar to what some GT car events require with mandatory time in the pits. Even if it's only fuel there is a minimum time requirement.

18. hayes131

Sorry, premature on my…. Post. Hadn’t seen MA story. But, would be pretty weak to make a pit stop race so short that a Supersport bike wouldn’t need fuel.

backbone likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Josh at your pace how many laps can a R6 go at Laguna before fuel is needed?

20. hayes131

I would guess around 23. Didn’t math it up, but maybe.8 litre per lap, 19l tank