1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof top Bike Racks

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 4, 2023.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Looking for a good system to put 4 bikes on the cab of my 2015 Ram 2500 Mega cab.
    The kids got mountain bikes for Christmas, so we will no longer be able to fit all of our bikes in the toy hauler garage along with the bigger toys that go in there. It's a 5th wheel, so can't use the bed of the truck.
    Top 2 things I'm hoping for 1) able to hold 4 bikes without taking wheels off 2) easy to get the rack on and off the truck when not in use.

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Yakima or Thule cross-bar set up, as you prefer. 1UP is the ONLY bike rack to have. The Pit-Bull in the bicycle rack world. After using mine, I wish they would expand to make trailer hitch motorcycle carriers. Great customer service, answering some questions I had.
    https://www.1up-usa.com

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Why not fab up a way to mount the bike rack to the rear of the toy hauler? I've seen lots that way gong down the road. You'd just have to put them on last and take them off first.

Edit: the ones I've seen look like hitch mounted systems. So they must've installed one at the rear of their toyhauler/camper specifically for carrying their bikes. Then no need to mess around with putting stuff on/off the roof.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

Look at all of the 1up options. I recently saw one of their RakAttack 2.0 pivots with a motorcycle rack attached, hauling a Grom. This would be another option for bikes on the back of your toy hauler. Pricy, but the build quality is impressive. Very few bike shops sell them, but you'll see them everywhere at bicycle rides.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Receiver hitch on front of truck, with a 1-up.
    Lots of people with trailers do it that way out here.
    Or.
    You can get 1-up trays for roof rails, but they don't have a rail system, so you would have to source one.

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've come across too many bikes that were either totaled or very damaged from people driving into
    The front mount hitch is a great idea .

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd do a hitch on the trailer and put them back there. I wouldn't want my bikes covered in bugs when I get to my destination.

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a receiver type Thule quad carrier you can have gratis if you go that route

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ive seen the videos and i would CRY!!!

Once a Wanker.. and G Dawg like this.
  10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I'm smart enough to not drive into the garage with bikes on top of the car. I refuse to give myself the chance to prove otherwise, so it's a hitch-mount or nothing for me :D

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You never know.
    In one case, the person was driving all night and pulled into the parking garage of a rental condo destroying a $5k carbon bike.
    He gave me the bike. I was able to salvage the forks and drivetrain.
    He keep the wheels.

13. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Same

Another option for the op, might be to do a 1up https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/ with a vertical bike rack like the Recon that 1up just bought https://www.1up-usa.com/product/recon-rack/ on the back so it can swing out of way and is easier to load/unload bikes.

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

the amount of times ive told myself to take stuff out of trunk/car when i get back.......

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

I installed a front receiver hitch on my Excursion this summer to haul my generator while pulling a camper for Ragbrai this summer. Worked great for my EF3000 and never unloaded it all week long. Front receiver was a lot higher than the rear, though. I hauled my CB125 back to GA and wheels did block the headlights some. Glad the generator was easy to clean the bugs off of; I sprayed the CB down with WD-40 for rain and bugs to do less harm. I'll eventually install a front hitch on my new truck, but I'll be prepared to rig up something to lower whatever rack I use on it.

17. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of roof racks for a few reasons (had one for several years):
    • It's a pain to hoist your dirty bike onto the roof
    • It's a pain to secure your dirty bike while on the roof
    • Dirty bikes on the roof make for dirty vehicles
    • Raises the height of vehicle by a couple feet when loaded which keeps you from drive thru, awnings, garages, etc.
    • Raises the height of vehicle by several inches when empty which may keep you from pulling into garages including at home
    • Reduces gas mileage somewhat.
    If you have to go roof-rack, 1Up is the way to go, and you can mount the trays to roof rails of your choosing.

I really like the idea of the front mounted hitch with the horizontal trays. I'm fairly sure you can add and delete trays as needed.

If you go hitch mount, the rack folds up to take up less space when not using.

The 1Up only touches bike on the tires so it won't scuff bike frame. Also, the attachment point at the receiver tightens in a way that prevents bouncing and rattling.

Most all my riding friends have a 1Up, and those that don't want one. :)

Personally, I use RaceFace tailgate pad, but am buying a two-tray 1Up so that I can use my tonneau cover on longer trips.

18. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the insight! I've thought of all of those ideas as well, but not with the brands you guys suggested, so I will have to look in to those.

Regarding smashing bikes, added height, etc...this will Only be used when towing the 5th wheel. Any other time, I just put the bikes in the bed of the truck w/ front wheel over the tailgate.

19. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

:Pop::(;) Once upon a time...yours truly drove once non stop from
    S. F. back to L.A. with my late wife, Bikes on the roof....8+ hrs later I drive into my driveway ..and Awesome...My neighbor had garage door open!! Heck Yea! Awesome...
    Were SOooo tired, so I drive right on into the Garage...or so I thought :eek::stupid::eek::stupid:. The bikes were the least of the damage....
    IT JUST HAD TO BE HER CAR ..TOO :timeforabeer:

Once a Wanker.. and G Dawg like this.