1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What slicks are you running?

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Say a rider is considering switching from Pirelli superbike slicks to Dunlop slicks? Rider raced a full year strictly on Pirelli's all over the Midwest, bike is a gen 5 ZX10R... Rider runs at a "decent" pace.. they won all the Novice championships for their region and mixed it up a bit with experts at certain tracks.. rider is planning on racing CCS/ASRA AS WELL AS all the WERA rounds for their region (dropping a round from each org due to conflicts) So about 10-11 race weekends total.. Only REAL reason they're considering a switch, is the "potential" offer for 10-15% off on each set of Dunlops..

What are some things to consider between the two? I have heard that Dunlops have to be SUPER hot to work correctly, but I feel like that can be managed with pressures..

I only have real race experience with "Stones and Pirelli's.. I really like the Pirelli's, and all the vendors have been super helpful with setup on them. A lot of other ZX10R guys are running them too and have offered lots of help. (Although that may change next year because I have the same color plate? i dunno) lol I like the "squirm" of the Pirelli's because TBH it actually gives me a familiar feeling (when I raced cars the sidewall flex feel was very important to me)...

I ran the 225/70R17 SC2 front and 200/65R17 SC1 or SC0 all year.

Is this going to be just a slight change or am I gunna feel super lost? Obviously everything is taken with a grain of salt.. but it's the off season and I wanna talk about bike stuff. lol..

$50-$70 cost savings per set of tires over 10-11 rounds of racing definitely helps the budget though..

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ran Bridgestones for the past few years, but as I got faster I started getting quite a bit of front end chatter.
    Switch to Pirelli and problems went away

Couldnt tell a difference on the rear tire, but the Stones last much longer.

3. Roger Baker

Roger Baker Well-Known Member

rafa what pressure were you running in the front Bridgestone? I run 37 hot off the warmers on my R1 and haven't had any chatter issues.

stickboy274 likes this.
  4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Usually lower pressures cause that chatter from the tire folding. Usually you can feel the front trying to turn under mid corner also.