1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Broome and beeb aero pukes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 3, 2023.

1. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I was told many years ago that my grandfather was a very skilled welder who did the welding on some Igor Sikorskys first helicopter frames. Whether its true or not would be virtually impossible to prove, but it sounds pretty cool. :D

Gorilla George and Wingnut like this.
  2. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

That 222SP was stc’d here in Broussard,La to remove the Lycoming LTS101 engines and install RollsRoyce Allison engines. There were 11 aircraft modified and lots of this model only drive train parts. 1988-1994 production. One of the principals may still have some left over parts available.

Wingnut likes this.
  3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Oh, you mean slightly refined diesel fuel.
    :D

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

On the helicopter side of my business I primarily deal in Bell 412/212's, Some Augusta AW139's AW109/119's and Sikorsky S-76's. But we've been involved in so many different platforms. There's still a decent amount of Bell 222's flying around. I'd rather have the Allison 250 engines in one versus the LTS-101 Lycoming.

Then on the fixed wing side its wide open.

5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I got a ride in one of the first Blackhawks that the Army got. Super fun flight. I was sitting in one of the seats looking out the side of the aircraft, and at one point of the flight, I was looking straight down at the ground. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Broome - 30 yr old twin turbine helicopters ARE expensive. Its the maintenance and keeping them airborne thats expensive. Hence the cheap purchase price. I dont know about the 222's in particular, but a lot of times theres time or calendar limited parts that are on th verge of no longer being useable.

Dont cheap out with helicopters. Especially helicopters.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I bought an Astar 350 last November, and I am currently trying to learn how to fly it (training in a R44). Hardest thing I have ever done with a machine is learning to hover. Its rewarding though, and the Astar is a beast. I am surprised there are not more helicopter pilots/owners herre.

racer_11, Wingnut and Steeltoe like this.
  8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine bought a Robinson R22 that was supposed to be zero time everything. The seller didn't honestly represent the thing and his first annual was $20,000. The purchase price was $100k, which was the market for a fresh R22 at the time. This ended up in court and he was awarded the portion that was misrepresented by the seller.
    Bottom line, helicopters are hella expensive to maintain. The purchase price is just the buy in and not knowing what the hell you're buying could get stupid expensive fast when you find out blades and other parts are at or beyond T.B.O.

britx303 and Gorilla George like this.
  9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Heeeyy I know Robinson. They are family friends with my wife’s family. His farm is where we do the tactifool shooting. There are a few planes there kept in some barns……and a small landing strip. For years it was also where locals went for a haunted hayride that lead to a pumpkin patch at Halloween time. My wife grew up right across the street from the Robinson’s Farm.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That’s the extent of my input here……from a poor boy perspective :D

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe put some pew-pews on the winglets and defeat every enemy by performing a looping and we'd be ready to park it at Devil's Tower.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Guarantee some lurker is buying this thing :crackup:

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe so, but I prefer something that's not trying to shake itself into pieces and that will glide back to the ground. Fuck those things. I ain't getting on them unless I'm unconscious or paralyzed.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

16. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Heli Pilot here, work in Canada 12,500 hrs. 22/44, H500, 206, 407, 205, 212, Astar. Of them all, your Astar is the most difficult to land.

17. fastfreddie

Anyone with firsthand experience/opinions on the Hughes 500s and Bell Cobras?
    Just askin' cuz, old school badasses.

18. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I was a Cobra crew chief for six years in the Army. When I was at Fort Hood, my pilot took me up for about an hour and I was playing with the turret sight system. I used the joystick to keep the crosshairs centered on an unsuspecting semi just rolling along the interstate. Great fun!

I think it's hilarious that I now get to see the aircraft I worked on mounted on a pole outside the local VFW. I'm not saying I'm old, but when I see that, it tells me I ain't exactly young!

19. fastfreddie

Ever have any desire to pilot the bird?