1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a myriad of options for used MC

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Dec 31, 2022.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Suzuki GSX-S 750 or 1000
    2015/16 for $5-7k

Chango and Steeltoe like this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

The S model came with Sachs suspension, and it's impossible to find a setting that isn't either really uncomfortable, or really unstable. Granted this has been my only Tuono, but the forums mention all the problems that I have with mine. Granted the gearbox is probably related to having been thrashed in a prior life, as these things don't tend to get ridden gently. I'll say that opening up the jet that oils the clutch pack helped a little bit with the shifting, but it's still super notchy. I think the gas tank is also starting to go as all the stickers are starting to bubble from it outgassing through the plastic. The starting is really mainly just a poor ground design in the electrical system, so if you don't have a super topped up battery it doesn't like to start. Getting a really high cranking amp battery helped somewhat. Does awesome wheelies though.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

If you want a clean, low mileage RC51.... I'll have one available....

4. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    Easy to work on and modify too

5. 418

418 Expert #59

FZ8's are fetching higher than FZ1 prices for some reason. I don't understand.

6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

How weird you wanna get? '09 Buell 1125CR $4500.

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Looked at several bikes; man, there is a lot of overpriced junk out there. Ended up with a 2010 Kawasaki ZX6r, red. 11,000 miles overall, pretty good condition, and mostly stock. It will be 98% street commuter. Has a Yosh slip-on but still has the cat(maybe a cat eliminator crosses over pipe) and fender eliminator. Thinking I probably will leave it as is. The power seems solid. If I get back to the track I may mess with the suspension. What is the go-to mount for a phone on a sportbike for occasional GPS use? I also use WAZE daily to help avoid any blue light specials:blart:. I have a Bluetooth helmet, so should I stick with voice?

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

RAM mount.....glad you found something, hate it wasn't my RC51.

casjoker likes this.
  9. casjoker

I know it was tempting, but the wife set a 5k budget. The RC51 is still on the bucket list to get back unfortunately, now wasn't the right time. I got the Kawi for $5200. Pretty sure from what you described and the miles on that RC51 you will get significantly more than that for it.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Sheesh, you only gave us 3-4 days to advise you. You must be in a lot better shape than me to consider commuting on a 600. For a mere $800 more you could be ripping wheelies in comfort on my GSXS1K

gapman789 likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

commuting on a 600... bold choice. I couldnt stand to put 20 street miles on my R6...

12. casjoker

I stay off 1k for insurance and sanity issues...:D I had an r1 for about three months...best/worst three months of my motorcycling life. Passing my wife doing standup wheelies almost got me divorced. :beer:

I can usually handle about 1.5 hours. My r6 was mostly a track bike I occasionally rode on the street. 20 minutes is about right!

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd bet the ZX6 insurance is more than the GSXS, but you're 100% correct about it being stupidly fast for the street. The upright seating and saddlebags make it at least appear to be "responsible"

gapman789 likes this.
  14. casjoker

Misread and threw an R in there out of habit. Yes, the GSXS is a great bike! Yes, at almost 51 and commuting on a supersport may not be the best choice. Call it a midlife crisis!

418 likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its not the seating or bars... its the 10,000 rpm buzz to be a peak torque and somewhat legal speeds.

casjoker likes this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

So the starter was made in Thailand. NBD
    Except for China, I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find one vehicle where all of the components that go into it are made in one country.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The point is the smug sales guy was convinced himself and trying to convince me every last nut and bolt was eye talian. Yes, I took pleasure in pointing out the sticker. It could have said UK and would have been just as rewarding

jasonhise likes this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, I just saw this today or I was going to strongly advise looking at a Triumph Street Triple - that's the perfect bike for commuting (no better lane splitting bike exists) and for a few trackdays a year.

Plus you can sit up like a human being while you ride it.

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

A quick search in/around the OPs location shows lots of options.

upload_2023-1-3_21-1-44.png

gapman789 and 418 like this.
  20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1 I'm glad OP got a bike and seems to be happy with it, but man, seems like better/more comfy bikes are out there for commuting.

Commuting on a 13 yr old crotch rocket ain't for me....to each their own though.

I'm seeing several GSXS 750 in or within a few hours of Knoxville in the $5k range....Some with a scratch or two but nothing serious.

I'm going to look at an FTR 1200 today, so wth do i know. You'd think my '16 Tuono would check that box.