1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakar 2023

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Dakar Time!

I watched selected bits from the driver/rider introductions on YouTube today, and I've watched the pre-shows on the Red Bull channel. I usually end up swapping between the US network coverage (usually days late) and the Red Bull channel coverage (obviously focusing on the Red Bull riders which is kind of a detriment).

Does anybody know any better sources this year? I can also VPN to another country if something is available over there (hopefully subtitled). Is there a Dakar streaming channel yet?

418 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Let's go Brabec! Got a handful of Americans on two wheels out there.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Easy Prologue made for a tight pack of riders! 4th American (of 8,) Pablo Copetti was 56th, 56 seconds back from 1st place Toby Price. Anyone's race at this point, for sure!
    When I searched for TV coverage, it showed the first show on Jan. 7th! I guess I'll be following coverage on YouTube and Red Bull channel, like you, @Smilodon.

4. Critter

Critter Registered

go visit ADV rider forum they have guys that post every two minutes the whole two weeks and have good insights due to friends over there

5. Once a Wanker..

Yeah, I used to be a regular there, and followed it closely. Back when you were riding more Critter. Was all over it when my friends Elmer Symons (RIP) and James Embro were riding it in Africa. Followed Scott Whitney closely in the sidecar class. Go by Reality Rules there, as they wouldn't allow me to be a Wanker there, lol.

6. Critter

Critter Registered

Now that they have digital road books there won;t be anymore cheating from the map men

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just watched the highlights and they mentioned no Kamaz this year. They weren't banned but the flag was so they refused to come. Gonna throw the big truck class for a loop.

8. Critter

Critter Registered

Actually the drivers had to sign a form denouncing the war effort and many feel if they signed the form they would probably be dead when they got back.....and Kamaz is a supplier to the Russian Army so there is that too

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

So far, the main website (www.dakar.com) has been the best and most timely information for me. For more detail as things go along, I'll try looking at the ADV site mentioned.

10. Once a Wanker..

11. Once a Wanker..

Today's Cycle News results show 12 USA motorcycle racers finished Stage 1. (They only listed 8 yesterday.)

Ricky Brabec was the winner after Mason Klein (and others?) received penalties for speeding. Klein was scored in 6th.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Mason on stage 2. Brabec still in the hunt. Opening can be a bitch. 2 pies lurking.

Cheers,

Dave

13. Once a Wanker..

Yeah, winning stages is both a blessing and a curse for the guys and gals on bikes, who start first and open the next day's stage.

BigBird likes this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

FloRacing has it on their stream.
    But it's a subscription service (which is awesome BTW. )

15. Once a Wanker..

Young USA privateer, not on a factory team winning Stage 2 IS awesome! Some of the factory riders have stated that they purposely slowed down so they didn't have to open tomorrow's stage.

I guess the best strategy these days is to just finish top 5 every day, and follow other's tracks?

BigBird likes this.
  16. Critter

Critter Registered

I will tell you the difference between the BAZ bike and LAST YEARS factory bike is very very close compared to other forms or racing. Just a few internal engine parts maybe 3-4 HP and internal suspension parts.. The factory suspension is nothing a good set up guy cant get even with the giveN the customer parts.

This years KTM/Husky/GASGAS is very very different than the BAZ bike from last year..WAY WAY different and not on a good way.

That being said, I have seen it and I know one of the test riders fairly well and the words are the factory guys wanted last years bike.. The new bike is not a trellis frame like the others have been for many years, its more like a traditional dirt bike frame. The complaints are the new bike is unstable and has no grip. I looked at it really close and it appears to me the swing arm pivot and the counter shaft sprocket are way way out of wack and it is not allowing the rear end to settle and create grip. Just looking at the old one and then this years it looks like weird rake and trail too compared to last years bike. I feel for the factory guys this year as I hope KTM have not lost their way too much trying to keep up with the master J.C.

Mason will be exciting to watch and I am really pulling for him. He came from no money in the family and has probably been living in a tent eating what he can find on the ground for the last year saving every penny he can to get where he is. I say that all in jest of course, but it does not appear as though he came from a silver spoon to get to his first rally a few years ago. He has done all this off heart alone and built all the help he has by himself, so essentially he bought a ride on the BAZ team which is a factory supported team and paid for it himself and with help from sponsors.... I hope he hands some factory guys THEIR ASSES!!!

BigBird and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. Once a Wanker..

Thanks for your great insight, @Critter! I'll look forward to your posts here for the rest of the rally, as it's too time consuming to read everything on the the ADV Firehose. Please share your perspective freely.

18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Well crap, Brabec out.

19. Critter

Critter Registered

Yes that sucks, this years Dakar has started a little tricky as the stages are covered in rocks, and that shit sucks rocks at 65 MPH on a bike in desert will pound the crap out of your hands, wrists and just everything.. So it will be interesting to see how it goes, today's stage was shortened due to weather.

It is always interesting to me to have raced, IOMTT, Dakar and stateside rally and desert on both a bike and now in a spec Trophy Truck. The way safety is handled at all three types of events is vastly different... I sometimes think I should write a book about it...

BigBird and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So for another person to root for - Bill Conger is in one of the cars int he classic class. He used to race with us back in the day and even ran a WERA sticker on his ARCA car :D

BigBird, 418 and Once a Wanker.. like this.