1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generator question

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Been searching online and can’t find a definitive answer so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I’m looking at running this pancake air compressor, warmers, and small appliances (not at the same time) and also a refrigerator at home during power outages.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...ic-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052

What I’m wondering is with the air compressor, online searches indicate that it needs 3-4x the running wattage (approx 1440watts) to start which is around 4000-5500 watts, some sites are saying over 6000 to start as well.. my buddies are telling me those numbers are bogus, is this accurate or can I run the compressor with a smaller generator like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-59137.html

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

We have that exact combination of compressor. Generator and warmers 2 sets). Works fine.

Quick6RR likes this.
  3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have a Predator 3500.
    When I do my monthly fire up, I run a pancake and a 1500w infrared heater to put a load on it.
    No problem.

Quick6RR likes this.
  4. Quick6RR

Are you using a comparable compressor as well?

5. Quick6RR

That’s good to know, I wonder why sites are saying the compressor needs 6k watts to run?

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes, Bostich 6gal 150psi

Quick6RR likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s called inrush current. It lasts all of about 2-3 seconds.

Gennie will handle it just fine.

Quick6RR likes this.
  8. Do not believe these assclowns. This is the only viable solution:

[​IMG]

TurboBlew, Rebel635, tl1098 and 5 others like this.
  9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Quick6RR likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

A new Porsche engine?

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Don't forget that a loud generator is best.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Amen...:D

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

As good as the Predator 3500 peak watt gen works well, running watts is 3000. I bounced between that brand model and the Westinghouse brand modal that has peak 4500w and 3700 running watts. Reviews for both were great. I went with the 4500w unit for the reason of more watts to help cover for some of the unknows for $200 less.

Models are essentially the same but with a different tag.

I was going to purchase the predator with the credit card to help ease the 1 time payment by spreading out the payments. The other bonus going with the Westinghouse amazon purchase was they too offer an interest free monthly automatic withdrawal payment method. Essential the same as the HF plan but without adding another credit card to the wallet. I don't care to have more than 2-3 CC'd's.

Sorry a little bit off topic but just wanted to offer my experience(s) when I faced similar questions that the OP had.

Quick6RR likes this.
  14. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

Interested in your suggestion but do you have a link? my Googlefu isn't apparently good enough.

15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i'm telling you right now....disable the CO2 sensor.
    • get a magnetic dipstick and drain plug.
    • put battery tender pigtails on there if being stored for a while
    • do more oil changes than the 30 hour break in period. i did mine at 1 hour, 11 hour, and 41 hour.
    • run your last fill at the track with ethanol free fuel. i keep an empty pale to get some at gas stations.
    they go on sale often and have a 20% coupon on them now if you're quick.

Quick6RR, TurboBlew and jasonhise like this.
  16. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

Hmm....interestingly looks like they no longer offer the 4500w. Glad I struck while the iron was hot. They do have the 3700w but is less in running watts at 3000. I most likely would have gotten the Predator then.

jasonhise likes this.
  17. You are supposed to change the oil in them?

Wellillbedamned.

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've read about people having problems.
    I have my 3500 in a 12x20ft storage building with both dual front & side doors.
    I've run it inside with the doors open for 3 hours and never had it shut off.
    Checking to see what would trigger it, I closed the doors closest to it. No shut off.
    Closed just 1 of the front doors and it took about a minute to shut off.

• put battery tender pigtails on there if being stored for a while:
      Charging system must be shit. 1st battery went dead after sitting for 2 months.
      Would not take a charge . I now start it once a month and use the pull starter. If it's been sitting for a while, it will kill the battery if I crank it too long.

• run your last fill at the track with ethanol free fuel. i keep an empty pale to get some at gas stations.
      You won't need to worry about that if you never use ethanol fuel and put stabilizer in after that last intended use for the season.

Quick6RR likes this.
  19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I use a pred. 3500 to run our tire trailers. On the big trailer, it runs the air compressor, tire machine, lights fridge, and AC/Heat (my mini split is really efficient. I don't expect that to work with a roofmount ac/heat) . All at once.

It will run that compressor you linked, if you haven't gotten that one yet, get this one instead. It pulls half the power and puts out enough air to run a air/electric machine. As a bonus, it's really quiet.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gal...-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64596.html

Quick6RR and Phl218 like this.
  20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Microair Softstart for the roofmount rigs gets you all the inverter low initial startup draw magic for your rooftop setup. Once going, they're about the same efficiency as a mini split but that locked rotor draw off a capacitor start setup on the roofies is what knocks out inverter gens.