1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone doing the youtube channel thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 1, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My peeps have been saying for 10 years that I need to make vids of my travels and all the other crazy stuff. Never really wanted to bother with it. Getting kind of bored on my travels (alone FML) these days, so starting to think it may be worth a try.

I could give a FF about making money doing it.

Who else is doing it? Is it worth the effort? Not in money, but in some other type of non-monetary aspect?

I'm thinking I could have some serious fun calling out all the BS in the world hahaha

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I did make some videos 10 years ago when go pros first came out. It was fun for a while. Two things I learned though, you have to have ALOT of footage to edit down to a manageable size that anyone would actually want to watch, and you have to spend ALOT of time editing. Kaleb's youTube channel is pretty extensive (KD51) and I've seen how much time they spend on it. I really don't think the return on investment is there.

My wife watches videos like crazy, mostly cross fitters and crap like that. She's always telling me how they are getting rich from it and I'm like uh-huh.. Show me the 1099 from youtube then I'll believe it. They are rich kids to begin with!

You could just do it for fun and see how you like it. I got tired of all the editing time. Now I make 10 second clips for Insta and it's more fun. Plus you can do it on your phone easily without sitting down at the iMovie computer for hours.

Oh, I forgot that the new GoPro software (quick) isn't bad for making short clips. I had some fun with that when I got it. But the short clip length and generic music got on my nerves.

sbk25, BigBird and motion like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Kraig Adams is a one-man show and has some of the highest quality, best edited videos I’ve seen. Plus, his content is relevant to your interests. One thing he does is commentary at the end of his videos, discussing details of the trip, equipment, and techniques used to film it. There’s no way to gather all that info, without downloading every video and shooting to the end. But, then you’d miss out on the context, without watching the content. Anyway, he recently uploaded a favorite gear and equipment video you might be interested in. He runs a fairly simple operation.

motion likes this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

People absolutely make money from YouTube and Instagram reels and tictoc. Instagram and tic tic has you change to a influencer account and you can select the reels you want to be eligible for a bonus which can range from hundreds of dollars to thousands a month. I know several photographers and racers making really good passive money with it.

BigBird likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If this is your objective, go for it.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Much like the beeb, youtube censors politics. Thats all I got.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

She's no Vickie, but I'd let her fish out of my tackle box!

Gino230 likes this.
  9. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

If you don't care about monetization shoot footage that entertains you, edit it to whatever level you're happy with and put it out there.

Non monetary reasons to do it: A. May inspire someone to do similar. B. May find riding companions. C. May find bitches who want to hook up the next time you're riding through their village.

BigBird, Rance Taylor and motion like this.
  10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Definitely plenty of people making money off of it. But like any other type of "celebrity," for each one making bank, there are thousands that don't make it. I follow somewhere between 50-100 youtube channels (basically the only tv I watch other than moto racing, no cable, only streaming service is netflix) and I'd estimate roughly 1/3 of those are guys who started their channel as a side project and it evolved into something that allowed them to eventually quit their day job to pursue it full time. But those people "make it" by having a generally good business mind and intimate understanding of their target audience. That becomes evident when they start branching out to other business ventures, often bolstered by their youtube channels. So then the income becomes 2-fold - actual youtube income and then income from the business that their youtube channel helped make successful. Perfect (albeit extreme) case study of this is Matt Carriker (Demolition Ranch). Not really my cup of tea these days but that dude nailed it when it came to making youtube a career and then using that capital to launch other business ventures that his channel become to primary marketing tool for.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's my life..

I don't feel the need to document, curate it and show you only the good parts as most of the folks on the internet choose to do. If you want to know what my life is like you'll have to suffer as everyone else did and hang out with me.

gixxernaut, Rance Taylor and motion like this.
  13. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Filming and editing content is a full time job for some people. I have friends who make a few bucks but they'd likely make more and have more time just going to work to have the money to pursue those hobbies.
    If you dig it though, have at it.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've been asking myself WHY on this subject for a long long time. I think it comes down to 3 reasons why I *might* do it:

1) A form of artistic expression. I'm sort of artsy... love art and museums. I have no real way to express myself artistically, since I lack talent and motivation to sketch, paint, create music, journal, write poems, etc. I view the short form video as a good way to express myself.

2) Gives me something to do and changes the way I think about a destination and the journey. I hate to say this, but after all my travel and having covered most of the planet, the flame is not burning as brightly as it used to. I'm always looking for some way to recapture the magic from 30 years ago when I first started exploring the world.

3) The social aspect. Since I'm now single, I'll be traveling alone. Even if I have a GF, I'll still probably do most of my traveling alone. Running around with my iPhone on a stick will give me license to talk to more people. I hate people and talking to people. I'd rather be alone and not bother people, but its not always healthy.

BigBird, APO2112, Pride & Joy and 3 others like this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm not gonna be a slave to charging batteries and editing on a laptop using advanced editing software. My iPhone 14 Pro on a gimbal stick is plenty, and the battery is always charged anyways. The editing software on the phones these days is plenty good enough to hack out quick videos. I wouldn't want my vids to be slick anyways... would rather they are gritty and real with all the flaws.

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Now you know why you lost your wife and will be single for a long time.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

First of all, you don't know shit about me or my life.

You are correct... I'm not going to stop traveling for any female. That being said, I had full blessings from my wife to do my alone traveling. I dragged her all over the world for many years and she was done at a certain point.

18. 418

418 Expert #59

This is the second snarky dipshit comment in as many replies in this thread. Maybe you should go take your meds.

Motion, might as well go balls deep and do OnlyFans. :D

I think if YT floats your boat go for it. As stated, I think it's a lot more work then most people realize but if it's your thing who are we to judge.

BigBird, tony 340, noles19 and 3 others like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's a really good vid, thanks.

ducnut likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

He's had a hardon for me for a long time, probably because I have a lot more two strokes than he does. I ignore him and this is one of the very few times I've responded to him.

I'm half in on buying a smartphone gimble today and trying to make a vid of Nha Trang to see what's involved, but still haven't talked myself into it :D

BTW I used to own a multimedia studio back in the day, so I know full well what goes into video production.

418 and Phl218 like this.