1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a myriad of options for used MC

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Dec 31, 2022.

1. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

After a few years without a street bike, I am thinking of getting back on the road and looking at a bunch of options.
    2012 FZ8 8,000 miles $5000 one owner, completely stock
    2005 CBR 600 27,000 miles $4500 decent shape two owners down once (clean title) will have to get new fairings, dude has some crazy anime stuff on it now :Puke:
    2008 Yamaha r6 30,000 miles $4500 3 owners, down twice (clean title) OEM farings and case cover with road rash
    2021 Aprilla RS660 7,000 miles $10,000 1 owner dealer sale no accidents
    I also have this weird thing and miss my rc51, but prices on those in decent shape are stupidly high. Might be more nostalgia and probably shouldn't consider.

I have an 80-mile commute round trip, and my diesel truck is killing me on fuel. The FZ makes the most sense for commuting, but the other three have more track-day prospects if I want to go back to the track, which would only be 2-3 times per year.

I have owned a 05 CBR and an 08 r6. I know what I am getting there—research on FZ8 sound pretty solid, Aprilia is mixed.

Two issues I am having:
    4-5 grand for bikes 15-18 years old seems steep.
    I have heard mixed reviews on the Aprilla mechanical issues.

Yep, I am old (50) and think 3k for a 15-year-old motorcycle is reasonable. All bikes are located in TN

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

For the price of the ‘Priller you could have both the best commuter bike and the most capable track bike.

I’m not seeing difficulties deciding.

StaccatoFan and Steeltoe like this.
  3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Regarding prices - I've learned in the last year or so that everyone is going to have to recalibrate their minds to the 'new normal' of everything just being more expensive that we think it should be. Can't even get out of TacoBell under $10...

$4500 for a 15yr old bike seems about right these days.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

List just doesn't seem right without a Grom on it.

Gorilla George and R1Racer99 like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just saw a low mile Burgman 650 go for $2k... with 11,000 miles.
    Im not into Doofus scooters but for a commuter I would look at those since the demographic that rides them dont tinker or modify.
    A silverwing is in the same family...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I personally would F*CKING LOVE an FZ8!! I’ve wanted one for a streetbike for years!!!

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't believe a word of Apriliarr owners who never had a problem. That damn thing will be in the shop on the nicest days. If you can find a shop.

The obvious answer here is GSX-R 750 if you must have a sportbike. Perfect on the street.

I like some of the parallel twins everyone seems to offers these days. They're cheap new and should be plenty of them on the used market by now.

sdg likes this.
  8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

For commuting...the FZ8 ALL day.

9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Go for low mileage fz8 or fz1

For commuting, forget the Italian jobs.

10. britx303

I was at a richy yuppie area Aprilia dealer years ago to check out the rsv???……..whatever was the 1K model around 2008-ish. Anyhow, as I’m looking over the bike top to bottom, I say to the smug sales guy….” What the hell…..made in Thailand??” He chuckles and rolls his eyes and says “Yeah right guy……it’s 100% Italian”. Sure as shit, on the starter motor it had a “made in Thailand” sticker that you couldn’t see unless you really got down looking over the bike. Not that there’s anything wrong with Asian vehicles or parts…….hell it’s what I prefer. It was the dig at the smug ass sales guy. FZ8 is the clear answer here :D

dtalbott and Steeltoe like this.
  11. britx303

Ok, there’s enough of us that race oddball shit. Shirley someone has raced an FZ8. Hell, I’ve thought about it lots of times in case I ever did end up with one. I know the displacement makes an odd issue, but for our racing, who cares. It’s gotta be a fun one

12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

First gen Tuono. Fast and torquey, a hooligan when you want it to be, comfy to put lots of miles on, dead nuts reliable Rotax power, unique and rare, and cheap to buy.

SundaySocial likes this.
  13. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I bet someone has raced an FZ8 also. And don't call us Shirley.

britx303 likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What about a non clapped out SV ? Do they even exist ?

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

They aren't that cheap to buy anymore. I've got an '05 with about 13,000 mi on it, and something comparable is going to be $5k. For the factory version in good shape they're running upper $6k. It is a blast to ride, but it's kind of like a hot chick who's crazy. Very finicky starting, the gearbox doesn't like going into neutral, and the standard S has ridiculously poor suspension. It's one of those bikes that you simultaneously love and hate.

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

How about a stupid expensive 1998 TL1000R with about 17K mi on it...:)
    Full Yosh Ti Exhaust and a Penske /w/ LE Link. Blue/White...

17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’ve had several first gen Mille’s and Tuonos, and none of them have the issues you speak of. Granted, all of mine have had Ohlins on both ends.

You can still get them for $3500-$4000. There’s been one on FB Marketplace for months priced at $3500.

18. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

My vote is for the 05' CBR600RR. Best sport bike I've ever owned was an 07' CBR600RR. Telepathic steering, braking, stable, very good acceleration for a 600 and actually pretty comfy. Coincidently the worst sport bike was my RC51. Beauty to gaze at and listen to, but hot, heavy and hit reserve at 105 miles. Was always in the rev limiter, guess I'm just used to an inline 4. Buddy of mine had an 07 or 08 R6 also. Didn't like that near as much as the CBR though they were dead even in a sprint. The R6 felt FAR less torquey.

19. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Both of those 600 prices seem way high. I'm about to list a mint 2018 ZX-6R (track only), and if a 15+ year old CBR600 with anime stickers is going for $4,500, then I need to rethink my asking price!

I'd vote the FZ8 based on your existing list. But, I'd be more inclined to go with something like a KTM Super Duke if I wanted a fun naked bike that could still do track duty. No idea what those go for on the used market, though.

20. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Been down the SV rabbit hole and can't find anything close to reasonably maintained. I had an 05 SV and liked it. I should have included the GSX-R (especially the 750), but they are hard to find a decent one for under 7k. The more I think about it probably want to stay under 5k and pay cash. I have been doing a lot of googling on the Aprilla. They seem to have a fair number of issues with them and am unwilling to roll the dice.