1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative, Stanford University

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

As we head into 2023 there will be some changes around here. I have coordinated with Mongo and DaveK to adopt Stanford U's list of undesirable terms. It is my belief we can make the beeb more inclusive. A safe space for everyone.

For instance, we will not longer refer to Broome as OCD. That term is harmful. Instead, we can say he is "detail-oriented".

I would ask everyone to print out the attached pdf and make a concerted effort to adhere to these guidelines. Thank you. Peace and love.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/stanfordlanguage.pdf

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/introducing-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-website

MELK-MAN, Wingnut and bleacht like this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I see this thread really going places.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Either that or I'm going places. Worth a shot because that list has me ROFL :crackup:

Instead of "retard" consider using "person with a cognitive disability, person with autism, neurodivergent person".

Instead of "brave" consider using "none/do not use". This term perpetuates the stereotype of the "noble courageous savage," equating the Indigenous male as being less than a man.

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Tl-dr.

5. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

So candyass and pussy are still cool. Nice, because they describe the cognitively disabled pushing this goonery.

prm, Clay, Dragginass and 10 others like this.
  6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Is cunty twatwaffle still OK?

DrA5 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes. "Peanut gallery" however is out.

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

out because someone might have a peanut allergy?

R Acree likes this.
  9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Reality deniers. Truth eschewed urchins. And…

CBRRRRR999 and pickled egg like this.
  10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Good lord people are stupid. Buncha pussies. We're so fucked.

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Considering its geared towards IT - I've already encountered push back when I used the terms 'master' and 'slave' when referring to components in a system.

Those are the freakin' terms. If you don't like it, too bad buttercup.

*Holy crap I just read some of those - what insanity!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    pickled egg likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I know, the entire request by
    ‘toe and the rest of his group of mental cripples seems gay and retarded but when he asked chief and myself to try and follow Stanford he made some good arguments. So we immediately jumped on the bandwagon and since I told him I’d look into it, I did (just the man in the middle and shit). Don’t want to be an Indian giver
    Got to give the spaz credit , might be lame but at least he had the balls to try, unlike some of you uppity ladies.

tarbaby! Gray beard! Retard!

13. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you guys had a cakewalk.

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Haha, that is freaking hilarious

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Fucktards.

16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

This is what happens to you, when your favorite motorcycle brand goes bye bye.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

:crackup:
    They are going to come for me, too. That list is really something!

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

tone deaf has me clumsy with a boring uncool cognitive disability

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But one thing that has me ready to take to twatters, tiktorques and yougores: where was ‘toe’s complaining about people using hate words for the vertically challenged?!?! Yo seem to still be able to harsh the cool buzz of Pedrosa, Chip and other people of less than average height.
    Midget, Keebler, dwarf, Pedrosa, shorty, elf. . . How’s the weather down there? How does my ass smell? When I find your pot of gold I’m buying an el Camino. . . Hate speech and I’m standing up (try and make a joke here and I’m banning you) for the rights and feelings of all the Pedrosas, chips and other people of lesser height!

jizzmop!

CBRRRRR999 and Steeltoe like this.
  20. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I love this place.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.