1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Time Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 31, 2020.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

All done with machine purchases, for now. 20221228_150104~2.jpg

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

2006? You're gonna need quite a bit more clearance above the spindle on that, brother. ;) Either that thing has really low hours, or didn't cut much steel, as the inside cabinet paint is still there! That's right around the same as the VF-2's at my big shop, and they've been rock solid except for the programmable coolant. Can't keep that fixed for some reason. You didn't have to disassemble anything to get through that door? So what are your plans for it?

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

2003. Has around 4300 hours on it. Looks really good, for the little bit I've been able to look at it.
    I will be making a bumpout in the ceiling.

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

G91 G28 Z0.0

Let the machine make it's own hole :D.

Just kidding, Nice mill, 12k spindle and side mount changer are 2 great options.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

4300 is nothing. Hope you don't have issues talking to it. My 04/05 was the last year before they went to the updated control, and I had to get a box to upload programs, and it doesn't like running big files in DNC. Tends to drop out and kill the program. Do you know what software you're going to use to transfer? If you're planning on using the floppy or USB (looks like you have that add on), you're limited to 1.44 meg.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I haven't run z CNC mill in over 20 years, and everything I did was manual input. I have a lot to learn and relearn.
    I go have Fusion 360, but I have to learn that too. Most of my stuff will be simple to start with.

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

That's cool! What does something like that run on the used market?

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

$30K-ish for this vintage. Add or subtract $7-$10k per 5 years newer or older.

sharky nrk likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I'm glad I got a side mount. I wasn't stuck on the 12k, but it will probably turn out to be the best fit.

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

When you start to make more complicated stuff, you're going to be really happy you have 12k to work with. 3D ball generation comes out much nicer, though you're going to want to be really careful with your tool balance above 10k. Had one of my guys using a very very slightly wonky collet on a 1/4" ball, and the finish was junk. I think Quick Code is one of the best things about the Haas control, but I can't even remember how to use it. Too many years of doing it the 'easy' way, plus the stuff I do tends to have a lot of 3D. Fusion is a great choice for the money, but I'm pretty sure you can't use it to communicate (unless something has changed recently). If you want, I can check what software I'm using on my older VF2, plus the comm box. All my other machines are newer and have networking capability, which is a heck of a lot better than doing DNC.

BTW, we just picked up a 2012 VF2 with roughly the same specs, for $52k. More hours though. I think you got a decent deal with the low hours. Does it have the high speed machining option? I don't think that's standard, even on an SS.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yup, it has high speed machining.

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

New machine to add to the shop capabilities, I ordered with the A2-6 spindle which has a 3.5" spindle bore, 10" Bison chuck plus got the 4 tool changer and electronic handwheels
    Bought a fair amount of tooling for it including a 4 jaw scroll chuck, ER20 gang tool holder, knurling tool, some good finds on eBay for carbide inserts, holders, etc

IMG_2748_small.jpg IMG_2747_small.jpg IMG_2751_small.jpg

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I found and bought a 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T today. Same owner for the last 40 years, dude put a 67 Charger grill on many years ago but has the original in boxes. A very complete rust free car.
    Cant wait to get started on this one.

Attached Files:

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Jealous...I love me some Mopar

16. Dan Dubeau

Just finished building this sortmaster rack for all my hardware. I have a small shop, so I need to use my space wisely and stay organized. Hardware storage was getting out of hand and this is long overdue.

[​IMG]

There are shelves that swing out in the middle to hold the bins while I grab stuff.

[​IMG]

A bit overkill....but I doubt I'll ever regret it. Fun build too.

cBJr, Banditracer, Wingnut and 2 others like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Y'all are way too ambitious for me. I spent the weekend fiddling with controls while watching hockey.

[​IMG]

Razr, TLR67 and Circacee like this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Damn... I spent most of the weekend sorting hardware that had been piled up since I moved a year ago, but you're clearly you're playing chess while I play 52 pickup...

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Did I miss you mention this new ride? Is it finally "the one"???

20. Dan Dubeau

[​IMG]
    This was my view a few months ago while sorting numerous buckets and bins full of miscellaneous hardware accumulated of the years. Felt like Neil Peart sitting behind the kit lol. The rack was just the next step in the process. I still have a few more to go, but not much left. I've never been this organized in my life lol.

RichB, YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.