1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A good master distiller utilizes their expertise with their grain mix, water, and oak cask to impart many different flavors/spices/nuances in the first sip, on the back of the tongue, and at the finish, so why would you want to muck it up? It's not needed if it's good from the start IMO

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I finally had few drinks; neat, on ice, with chaser, and in eggnog, and it passed with flying colors. Highly recommend.

4. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

You won't be disappointed. Its good.

5. I can drink pretty much anything, except bourbon. For some reason bourbon turns me into an asshole.

I am confrontational anyway, but usually only when I have a reason to be. I don’t go looking for trouble, but if it presents itself I will handle it.

But when I drink bourbon, I go looking for trouble. If I can’t find any, I make some.

In college my roommate would intentionally get me to drink bourbon because he knew somebody’s ass was gonna be whooped. It might be my ass that got whooped, but some shit was guaranteed to happen. :crackup:

Rum, gin, vodka, whiskey, etc nothing else does that to me. Only bourbon.

As a matter of fact, a girl I dated for a long time in college threatened to break up with me if I didn’t stop drinking bourbon. She didn’t care what else I did or drank, she just didn’t want me to drink bourbon. She saw me in too many fights. So she threatened to leave if I didn’t stop drinking it.

She was fun, I hated to see her go. :D

6. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. My old fashioned intake has increased seven fold since I got one of those gadgets. Like it so much for four sets of them for Christmas presents for the boys

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

PM me your address, I have a bottle of bourbon I want to send to you.
    It's 390 proof.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Mix some with vanilla ice cream in the blender. Best smoothie you'll ever have.

lopitt85 likes this.
  9. :crackup:

I actually did stop drinking it. I broke it off with that girl because I do not handle threats very well. When she threatened me, she was gone. But I actually did take her advice.

When I drink bourbon in public it never ends well.

10. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

20-some years ago I was gifted a bottle of Booker's. I would never have walked in and spent that much for a bottle of anything. I have since. Truthfully, every batch I've had, and each is slightly different, is better than anything else I've tried. It's for sipping and savoring.
    I will add the Jefferson Ocean is pretty good and a bit less.
    For most occasions Jack Daniels is fine, although I do not think it is as good as it once was, but that might be because of being introduced to Booker's

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Can you expound the boldface/underlined? Is it like but wait . . . there's more?

auminer and Gorilla George like this.
  12. :crackup:

Yeah something like that. :D

I basically get the way I do when somebody pisses me off, except nobody pissed me off.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My marine buddy does that on tequila.

Don't understand how there's different alcohol effects but I've seen and done it myself many years ago.

We should have "worst drunk stories " thread. I'm sure there'd be some good ones

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

31AUG87 Orlando, FL.

It was military payday, back before that stunt to move one payday from the last day of the month to the first day of the next month in some accounting fuckery to make one fiscal year look better.

But I digress.

I had an extra $300 in my pocket as I was going to look at a beater car for transportation until I moved on to my next duty station. I opted not to buy it and instead met up with some friends at a park with a bottle of Jose Cuervo and a couple of cases of beer.

Then things get fuzzy.

Since Orlando didn't really have a public transportation system at the time, I was walking back to base, well after dark, probably along Colonial Blvd, but possibly not. The details are quite fuzzy, but I clearly recall a knife in someone's hand and a voice demanding, "Give me your fuckin money".

Next clear memory is me in a Hardee's, bleeding from a small cut on the chin and the shredded remains of my knuckles, repeating, "I think I killed him. "

Obviously, cops were called. After a thorough search of the area, no bodies were found, so I got a free ride to the base hospital to get stitched up.

When we got there, I was uncuffed and gingerly reached into my pocket...

... and pulled out about $500.

Guess I took his money instead!

To this day I can't drink tequila.

15. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

16. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This post will only be of importance to a select few cheeseheads, but I sampled one of the best bourbons I have ever had from the Hatch Distillery in Egg Harbor, Door County. Their Fellowship Bourbon was buttery smooth and top-notch. A few grocery and liquor stores in the area also have it for sale.

https://www.hatchdistilling.com/spirits/fellowship-bourbon/

17. ton

ton Arf!

experience and taste and preferences vary. palate evolves. variety and exploration are fun. whiskey makers, particularly new ones in the ever expanding market, will always seek to capture the money of people who look at the world that way.

you do you.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I have gone from having never tried Jim Beam products to being a fan of several varieties they offer. After tasting their Old Tub 100 proof at the distillery this summer, it quickly became one of my favorites to drink neat. Just agrees with my pallet and is smooth as can be. Since, I've tried their Devil's Cut and Twice Barreled Select and like both of them as well. I think Bulleit is still my favorite, but the Beam bottles are cheaper and close in taste for me.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Plain old white label Jim Beam is pretty good whiskey if you're not a bougie cunt.

20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Devil's Cut is my daily :D