1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This is closer to when the fia said you could only use one helmet design per year. Plus Hamilton has more fuck you money than probably everyone but messi at the world cup.

2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Maybe that will be the straw that makes Hamilton do what he really wants to do anyway and that is be a dreadlocked Greta Thunberg and Jessie Jackson all rolled up into one tight little weiner package.

Fingers crossed.......:D

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So racing adjacent, and it’s the offseason. This never disappoints.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

So, do we think the Andretti F1 team will be allowed? Seems the "powers that be", RB, Ferrari, etc, are trying to keep from splitting up the pie that much smaller to allow them in.

6. noles19

270million? I think they get in

7. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Name recognition and a widening US market are as much an incentive as the $$$. Americans spend crazy money on sports.

BigBird likes this.
  8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I thought that one thing that Liberty was going to do was restructure payments to teams so Ferrari does not get the lions share each and every year for just showing up as a "legacy" team. Its great they have been there the whole time, but when its completely financially stupid to get involved as a new team, to only fold in 2-3 years, maybe the sport should try something different. I for one loved the days of 26 car fields, even with pre-qualifying.

BigBird and stk0308 like this.
  9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

All that was accomplished and more. Teams are paid out a set percentage of F1 revenue depending on their finishing position. The percentages will be smaller if the pie is split into 11 pieces instead of 10, assuming the pie stays the same size. F1 needs to figure out if adding more teams will increase the size of the pie, and prove it to themselves and the teams.

10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

11. noles19

12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

BigBird and cpettit like this.
  13. noles19

that would be under estimating them

14. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I agree. Initially they will source a powerplant but GM may build one. I hope they do. I think GM's engineers are just as good as you can find anywhere else.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

:stupid: You got three races now in the U.S. Austin, Miami, Las Vegas. Got someone’s attention. Here we go.

BigBird likes this.
  16. CBRRRRR999

Different animal but the Caddy prototypes show they're willing to spend the money to win.
    The past drivers list is a who's who of world motorsport.

BigBird and noles19 like this.
  17. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

GM has some very talented engineers who would love nothing more than to design something other than bland SUVs.

BigBird likes this.
  18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

"The proposed team’s powerplant initially would be built by a third party. Reuss said GM and Andretti had a signed agreement with a power unit supplier and hinted GM could build F1 engines in the future. GM has a longtime technical partnership with Honda that recently has focused on electric vehicles."
    "Reuss said GM would provide technical support to Andretti’s F1 team for aerodynamics, chassis and combustion from a base in Warren, Michigan, and its racing technical center (which primarily supports its NASCAR and IndyCar programs) in the Charlotte, North Carolina, area."

19. CBRRRRR999

Saw Renault had agreed earlier in the process to provide them with engines.
    So a Renault built, Honda designed and GM badged engine? What could possibly go wrong.

20. noles19

Was that this team or one of the first couple tries at it?