1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's 0145 hrs ...

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That made two very, very dumbasses sitting there in a tree staring at each other in the pitch black trying to figure out what the other one was then.

Up until you're comment I was giving the edge to the owl, but now you've made me feel better.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:D

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

We are blessed with a bunch of wildlife here, for better or worse. Owl-wise, we have at least three kinds on and off. The most prevalent being the barred owl (the "who cooks for you" call). The others aren't as distinctive so not sure what type (it may even be the same type). Coolest owl moment was when mom brought her young-uns into the back yard to teach them how to hunt. We watched for at least a half hour. Like others have said, we generally don't see them, let alone for that long.

DSC00077.JPG

dasrider and YamahaRick like this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Your definition of wildlife may be different from mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. YamahaRick

Why The South has had an overpopulation of deer since forever and you are contributing to the problem?

bullockcm likes this.
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

These are pretty common in Dallas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Banditracer and Sabre699 like this.
  7. YamahaRick

Yeah, metro ATL has an issue with McMansion overpopulation as well.

8. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Been spending about half my month this year in DFW. They are over run with vicious cougars. You’ve been warned:)

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. auminer

Pshhhhh... Those are not McMansions.

Those are damn near all that gets built around here any more.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Those streets where every 3rd home is the same.....that's a no from me

Been there, done that

Banditracer likes this.
  11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

My son understands where his food comes from, how raising animals for food works, and has watched me break down large primal cuts since he was about 3. That isn't the issue. Having to explain to him why a deer is laying dead in the middle of my yard, with an arrow sticking out of its ass, because Darby the Slack-Jawed Yokel can barely hit the side of a barn with a cannon, is the item I don't want to deal with (see recent news stories in Alpharetta of assholes calling themselves hunters who are shooting deer, cutting off the heads as trophies, and leaving the rest of the carcass to lay on people's property).

So, no, I'm not contributing to the problem by not letting Ted Nugent wannabe's set up on my property. What I am doing is the research on what options municipalities have to get control of the populations, with the goal of getting the plans adopted and implemented by my City Council.

Jed, HPPT, Dan Dubeau and 1 other person like this.
  12. YamahaRick

Do what the government tells you. Good boy!

Now you know why I don't live near metro ATL anymore.

tony 340 likes this.
  13. auminer

I'm not sure if we read the same post... Sounds like he's more trying to get a plan sussed out and then tell government to do it.

14. That’s super cool. I like owls. They look funny to me. I wish some would hang out in my yard.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Just curious, what exactly is it that you plan on doing ?

There's a city near me, Ann Arbor....and those lunatics played to sterilize deer.

And then a third of them were hit by cars.

You're not going to out-engineer nature, I promise you never will.

One thing with hunting .....the only perfect shots are in movies.

You need to think of deer as nothing more than large rabbits. You kill some, eat them, and next year they come back. That's it. It's that simple.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

What's he got?

We do have a Bobcat or two, but I only rarely get to see them.
    BobcatInYard.jpg

17. auminer

Squirrel. I think that is a pregnant mama. The pictures were taken in January a few years ago.

YamahaRick likes this.