1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal Optics Choices

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Dec 19, 2022.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

2. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Hogster-check out nightgoggles.com.

ATN has a well deserved reputation for shit costumer service.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Avoid ATN they suck.

pm me your budget and I can point you in the right direction. But as stated the hogster is the best thermal for the money If you are around 2200-2500

Saiyan66 likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'd like to keep it under $3500 but want something I'm not going to regret soon after purchase.

Also, I wear glasses if that matters.

5. Steak Travis

6. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

ATN = junk

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Well, I ordered the IRay. Can't wait to check it out!!

MGM likes this.
  8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

9. Saiyan66

I was looking at the IRay as well. Let me know how you like it.

BC likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Screenshot of a video from my iray bolt . So it’s lost some resolution

[​IMG]

11. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

My SIL is a works for a plantation and the owners bought him a Pulsar unit for his hog rifle. Not sure of the model # but it is awesome. He can download video to his phone. Around 4k-5K. Pretty sure the have less expensive models that would get the job done.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I can deal with that.

13. Steak Travis

I think you'll be happy with it . If you have any questions LMK.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Thanks!

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm building a pig/predator gun as we speak so I'm all ears. I have experience with older Pulsar stuff, and it was okay, but the sight picture wasn't as good as what Steak Travis posted.

Seems goofy, but I've been kicking around the idea of going with NVGs and an IR laser. Nighttime spot and stalk hunts would be more fun if you didn't need to be on the scope all the time.

16. Saiyan66

NVG's and IR lasers work just fine, but they do have their limitations. You will want a really good IR illuminator mounted to your helmet if you plan on hunting on darker moonless nights. Shadows work the same way in the dark and it can be hard to see under trees/bushes. Also it will take more practice as using the IR laser on moving targets is harder than it might seem. I am currently running a helmet mounted PVS-14 white phosphor and a PEQ-15 mounted on the rifle. Personally if you are hunting and are legally allowed to have a weapon mounted NV device (thermal or otherwise) I would go that route. If you have any other questions let me know.

JBraun likes this.