1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber Motorsports - How spectator friendly is it?

Discussion in 'General' started by r1owner, Dec 17, 2022.

1. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Can you walk around most of the track to watch the race?

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yes. Good views on top the main building, but there's quite a few places you can drive around and stop to spectate.

Can also go through the museum to go on the bridge over the track too.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Google Earth the place. Nearly the entire perimeter offers places to sit.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Stay away from the pond. Hear tell there’s a gator in there.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Barber is an absolutely beautiful Motorsports Park, in most every way. The only issues I have is that other than on the roof of the timing/scoring/press building, which can only be accessed from the pits, there are very few places where you can see more than a couple of corners. To preserve the 'Park' beauty, the fewest number of trees have been removed, thus blocking views of much of the track from the several hillside spectator areas.
    The other issue it the reliance of portable bathrooms for spectators. the only decent bathrooms are in the pits/timing/scoring/press building, and the Museum, when it's open, and you have paid for admission.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I've been going there for the Vintage Festival for over ten years and last October was the first time I haven't raced. I took the opportunity to walk around the track and from the exit of the chicane on the back straight you can see from the exit of Museum Turn through the chicane and all the way along said straight until they drop away into the left hander. You catch a quick glimpse as the riders crest the hill then you see them coming into the last corner all the way to Turn 1, they then appear on the drop down to Charlotte's Web and can be seen for a good stretch towards the Museum Corner. I was surprised at how much I could see, it's not as spectator friendly as Talladega (but where is) but I would definitely say that it's no where near the worst track I've ever watched a race at.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The road around the track requires a licensed vehicle, no pit bikes. Unless the rule changed which I doubt.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

That surprises me - the few times I’ve been, it seemed there were pit bikes and scooters all over that road.

9. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Also...they are technically county roads, so helmet laws are in full-effect, boyeee.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Don't forget that during race meetings they run a shuttle around the perimeter of the track allowing a pretty easy tour of the viewing locations. It is a beautiful place, and certainly one of the best tracks I've visited (as a spectator and track day rider). As previously mentioned motorsports "park" takes on a new meaning at Barber.

Did I mention that they have a motorcycle museum on site?

I was lucky to see a few corners of the track when I was *on* the track! This was a new experience for an old racer from Florida!

Get a chair and other gear that is small enough to carry around and you should have a good time. You are allowed to put up canopies above a chalked "line" higher up on the hills. Many do that at their favorite corner and take "expeditions" to the other turns. We got some chairs that are designed for sitting on a hill and they were ideal.

11. Robin172

These blokes did that.

20221008_134526c.jpg

Razr, Shenanigans, YamahaRick and 2 others like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The shuttles only run during the really large spectator events.

13. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I was there for the last AMA round. You can move pretty freely around the entire track. There were also shuttles to get from one side to the other. We watched multiple races from a bunch of different spots, even watched one from the paddock area at a balcony near the start/finish straight. Best view was the hillside at the back straight, just bring a blanket and you can lay down on the hill.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

At the last two Oct. Vintage Festivals, they were focused on enforcing the helmet rule, but any type of helmet, including bicycle helmets, were allowed. 3 of the four bikes I brought had a plate on them, and no one said anything about the CB125 without a plate. Plenty of off-road bike were being ridden around the loop road, throughout the weekend.

It's certainly a beautiful place to go see a race, without a doubt! Add the museum to your experience, and it's the gold standard. I guess I'm just nit-picking about the details.

cbush likes this.
  15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mind the fire ants.

Don't ask me how I know.....

16. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

The venue speaks for itself , fun for all and clean and devoid of any debauchery . 5 stars

17. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Thanks for the info was debating about riding and camping there or Road America (been there before and love the access to the track for viewing)

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to the museum? I’m presuming not, go to Barber and allow part of a day or full day to check it out, very cool.

stk0308 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

I've been going to Barber for years, admittedly as a rider but I "found" turn 2 hill (or amphitheater as I see it) this past year helping out as a spectator. I think it's absolutely the perfect spot.

20. Robin172

The dip before the final two corners is pretty good too, you can watch them come over the rise into the right hander at the bottom and then into the final right hander. If you move along a little further, you miss the rise bit can see the other two corners plus the last turn.

418 likes this.