1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Talented Musicians You May Not Know

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Dec 16, 2022.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Everyone knows about Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius, Geddy, John Entwhistle, John Bonham, Neil Peart.....but who are also in their league that are not household names, by instrument?

Drums- Carter Beauford from Dave Matthew's Band. If Neil Peart is 10/10, Carter is a 9.95/10. Listen to a drum cover of "Drive In, Drive Out." Stunning.

Guitar- Prince. People don't realize how much he can shred on the guitar. He doesn't get listed enough with the greats.

Bass- Micheal Bean from The Call. His fretless sound is amazeballs.

Vocals- John Wetton and Greg Lake. Two intertwined musicians in so many ways, and they both kept their strong Vocals right to the end, unlike Geddy Lee and David Lee Roth that had their singing fall off a cliff in the last decade.

Others??

2. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Drummer-Jeff Porcaro The best ever, in my opinion.
    Bass-Dave Pomeroy, David Hungate

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Evgeny Novikov, -he's a blur on the drums, incredible footwork

Kenneth Schalk- most technical I've seen

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Danny Carey. Simply the best of the trade.

Chris Cornell. An acoustic great.

Adam Levine. Way underrated.

Stevie Mackey. A unknown who helps pros sound pro.

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

David Schools

Bill Laswell

Mechdziner714 likes this.
  6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Buckethead. Not in search of fame. Amazingly creative and craft.

Johnny Greenwood. Super creative. Even when he attacks his guitar music comes out.

Joanna Connor. Older and doesn't look like someone who can shred, but she can.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Drums: Brad Roberts aka Jizmak

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Marc Rizzo - Founding member and guitarist for heavy metal band Soulfly. He's also a tremendous flamenco style player and jazz guitarist. He often livestreams on Facebook just jamming out. He has several solo albums as well. Check him out if you are into instrumental guitar.

Mike Bordin - Drummer for Faith no More. First caught my eye when I was working a gig for Korn, there he was filling in for their guy. Then I saw him again, this time drumming for Black Sabbath. Guys like him can literally jump on a plane, learn the songs en route and play that night. Chances are you've heard him on somebody else's album or even been to a show he was working on and didn't notice him. Dude gets around.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Geddy doesn't belong in this list.

How is Prince a "may not know" as a guitarist? Everyone knows he had incredible talent.

The Rev was still relatively unknown as a drummer before his death. Very talented drummer.

11. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Guitar and vocals = Dave Meniketti ( Y&T )

Vocals = Renan Zonta ( Electric Mob, Skills )

Drums = Mike Portnoy ( Dream Theater, Adreanline Mob, many others )

Drums = Brian Tichy ( Whitesnake, Foreigner, Ozzy band, Dead Daisies, Billy Idol, etc )

Bass - Billy Sheehan ( Mr. Big, David Lee Roth, etc )

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Guitar - Nuno Bettencourt

Yzasserina and Yama-saurus like this.
  13. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Stefan Lessard - bass player for Dave Matthews Band. Musical prodigy joined the band at 16 yrs old

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Part of the problem here is that some musicians are well known in certain circles but not necessarily in 'Merica. Tommy Emmanuel is one of the finest finger picking guitarists in the world and he's definitely world famous, but a lot of people who are otherwise knowledgeable about music and musicians don't know who he is.

15. ton

ton Arf!

Absolutely.
    Other examples: Guthrie Govan, Gavin Harrison. If you’re into music at any real level, you know them. If you’re a mainstream pop music stream the Spotify top songs person, you’ll never have heard of them.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Kid Rock.

:D

brex likes this.
  17. joec

joec brace yourself

i second daney carey

ducnut and R1Racer99 like this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

Maybe I’m biased cuz I’m a huge Tool fan, but Danny gets hyped (deservingly) more than just about any other rock drummer right now. I don’t see how he’s under the radar or someone you might not know.

Brian_J and dave3593 like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

" Austin John " guitarist in the High Jivers, awesome player. Also Dawna Zahn, singer in the same band. Like their stuff, I've posted them in the Youtube thread in the past.

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

As a drummer…..

Carter beauford eats neil perts lunch. More Prestige does not mean greater in skill.

If you wanna REALLY get into it… Akira Jimbo fucks EVERYONE up. Look up his solo for drummer days 2000 on the tube.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022