1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide RSV4 or YZF-R1, Both 2016+

Discussion in 'General' started by russomf, Apr 13, 2022.

?

Which would you buy to race

1. RSV-4

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. YZF-R1

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Every time someone mentions parts availability at the track it makes me wonder why are we seeking parts at the track…. If it’s to get you going after a crash I would really like someone to teach me how to crash because every crash I’ve ever had is a total yard sale.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Every one I ever had except one, the bike was rideable/ fixable and I finished the weekend except when I went to the er, but even then the bike was easily fixable.

You must be doing it wrong. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We rode on sturdier machines back then. :D

[​IMG]

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Long time friend from back then that was into endurance racing said, "Freddie, I don't spend money on good stuff; I buy stuff that crashes well."

For racing, buy the bike that crashes well.

SGVRider likes this.
  5. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

You don't need to crash to require parts.

I had a rectifier pop during the morning practices in a weekend that could have seen my points lead disappear. Glad I was on my boring GSXR that year as opposed to my RSV4. T'was a lot easier sourcing a rectifier for a GSXR than a RSV4.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. If getting both is not an option, then it really comes down to the availability of knowledge/resources.

Parts for Italian bikes typically aren’t THAT much more expensive. It isn’t like rearsets for the R1 will be $500 and rearsets for the Ape will be $2500. The cost of aftermarket parts for both bikes will be in the same ballpark.

There are places you can get Ape parts; getting Ape knowledge won’t be as easy.

The guy throwing burritos in the fryer at the gas station can probably tell you how to setup an R1.

Finding knowledge on the Ape won’t be as easy. Which means you will either need to do a lot of research, or plan on doing a lot of development yourself (which means you’ll need some help if you don’t know much about setup).

Parts availability at the track has never been something I considered.

If you are serious about it, you should come to the track with spare levers, rearsets, bodywork, windscreen, gas tank, subframe, chain/sprockets, battery, brake pads, clip-ons, Master cylinder(s), springs, wheels, etc.

That applies regardless of which bike you are riding. The racing community is great and people are always willing to help. But it shouldn’t be expected or counted on. You should go to the race weekend with everything needed to rebuild the bike if necessary.

Either bike is capable of winning.

So the real questions are…

How good are you at developing a motorcycle?
    Do you have a suspension guy you work closely with and trust?
    Do you have someone readily available with RSV4 racing experience?

For a race bike, the answers to those questions should dictate your decision.

buzz-06 and cbush like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Some of the new bikes do have more expensive aftermarket parts nowadays. The rs660 for example the rear sets are expensive as hell compared to others. Tuning is another place that is different.

8. Tuning is a very good point, I should have mentioned that. It is right there with suspension setup.

Did they ever fix the injector issue with the RSV4?

With the 2013 I raced, at about 7.5k rpm the Lower injectors stopped and the Uppers started. That transition could be felt in the chassis.

On other bikes there is an overlap. The Lowers will keep spraying as the Uppers take over.

We spent hours trying to get that “miss” out of the tuning because it would happen right as I’m coming off apex and trying to drive out of the corner. It was enough to upset the chassis.

In order to fix it you had to go with a super expensive Magneti Marelli setup that would let you adjust all the injectors individually.

We said “fuck that” and went with a Panigale instead.

I thought I read they were going to go with a conventional injector setup at some point (maybe 2017?). Not sure if they ever did.

9. That has always been the case for some things. When the Panigale came out, the Akra racing exhaust was $5000.

But it will get better as the bikes are around longer and more companies make stuff for them.

noles19 likes this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yep the Chinese will copy everything soon they have already done the bodywork etc.
    For the vote I'd go aprilia it's way cooler than the r1

gapman789 likes this.
  11. Which is obviously priority one. :D

noles19 likes this.
  12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do we even know what color the wheels are on each bike? How can we decide without that vital info?

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I rode my 2018 RSV4RF on the track and I experienced no problems or concerns with the fueling. It was smooth and very linear all the way to the redline with a full Akrapovic system and the Aprilia unlock codes in the ECU.

14. Kneedragger34

Kneedragger34 Member

I have 2 r1's and a rsv4. I use the ape for the track. 4500 miles of beating the piss out of it and not 1 problem. It's the same old argument of ford,chevy,ram.
    It has more to do with the owner then the machine.

AJ and cbush like this.