1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike dickheads…….??

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Dec 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Selling most of my several YZ's, TTR125, and KX100, now that the girls are grown, to buy my first orange bike like this. A couple pounds lighter without the extra metal pieces hanging on the bottom of the swing-arm. I'd stay with a YZ, if it had 'The Button,' and could be licensed. Fuel injection is also a plus to me, these days.

I'll keep my '81 YZ250H though, in case I feel like doing some AHRMA events one day.

Spooner likes this.
  2. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Mine fired up after sitting for 2 years on the 3rd kick today.

SpeedyE, Rising and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The small bikes(XR100 in my case) inflict more pain and encourage stupidity than the big bikes.

Go ahead and hit that table top in fourth, flat out. The rear end will come up way faster than the front did and no amount of throttle can correct that.

Uff da. :D

So, I went and installed a big bore kit thinking moar powah would do the trick. Nope, flew further, right into a tree.

DmanSlam, SpeedyE, Sabre699 and 4 others like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’ve gone over the bars more than thrice from that damn little rear popping up like that :crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I probably shouldn’t have laughed at that, but I did. Karma point, well spent. Glad you’re OK. :)

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You guys are letting a pip-squeak pitbike manhandle you? They only weigh 160lbs. Flog their compact asses, hArd!
    Ya can't ride these like big bikes. Manipulating their mass is like handling a basketball whereas a big bike's mass is like handling a sheet of plywood. All inputs from you will have a major reaction on a pitbike's attitude. Choose the correct inputs...
    and don't over choose the amount of force necessary to throw it into the trees. :crackup:

SpeedyE and SGVRider like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hey @969...what is that piece in your avatar? Want!! :D

8. Resident Plarp

It’s okay to laugh.

Basically, I tub girl’d myself. It was worse than visiting a post office located near a retirement community at lunchtime.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

So the lesson learned here is what? Don't drink too much Busch Lattes and jump your hopped up XR100 because you might hit a tree and shit your pants? Hopefully there was a creek near by to clean up in. LOL

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey now!!! The worst time would be first thing in the morning, since they have already been up since 4am.

By lunch they are taking a nap.

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

They put the TX300 stickers in a different place on mine…

Does make a good bit more power than the previous 300 I have. The 20 model is for sale by the way. Even comes with a dual sport kit and was tagged in TN.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'm referring to the one in Maryland at Wicimoto. I haven't been there yet. It's about a 6hr drive for me. I initially thought I was going to need a winter break but after a weekend or two of not riding, I'm itching to go. We went down to Kairos last weekend for some intense hard enduro stuff. Definitely tested me.

My main bike is the Beta. I ride around the property on the TTR and let guests ride it. Not ready to let it go yet.

I did just pick up a complete RM125, but in pieces. A restoration project that my buddy decided as never going to happen. Planning to do full overhaul on it and use it for some MX.

britx303 likes this.
  13. britx303

Yep, that one. We’ll be there with my daughter racing, and hopefully I get something sorted by then for me. I’m refraining from just going and picking up a new yz125x that I found in stock :D I reeeeaaaally wanted one when they came out a couple years ago

14. Resident Plarp

That’s why AARP-types are unstoppable. They wake up before everyone else.

Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. britx303

4am??? Lazy old bastards!!! That’s sleeping in for me :D

rd400racer and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

More power off idle or all over? Did you send your ecu out for a flash on your TPI out of curiosity? I haven't gotten to ride a TBI bike yet and am still on my 21 Gas Gas with no complaints but will probably buy a TBI bike in 24. But after years of mixing I love just putting gas in the thing. Ha

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Nice. I’m usually overly anal, but that’s much easier. If it’s been sitting a while though I might prefer just to do the full shebang so I don’t have to think about it.

I think the bigger issue with the YZ is what homie said, he has to drive somewhere to use it. Performance wise I’d take the YZ over an XR, but if you won’t ride the YZ the XR is the better choice. Seems like most used XRs I see are plated. Yeah some wild dudes will plate a YZ smoker but that’s probably more trouble than it’s worth. The XR rebuild might also be more intensive but it’ll be lower frequency as well.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m in Los Angeles so that’s a bit outta the way. I’m trolling Facebook Marketplace on the daily. Just saw a few plated WRs come up locally. With fucked up carbs apparently, but that’s no biggie if it’s got compression. Who knows how tired the rest of it is though. Probably blown fork seals and what not.

What’s the beeb’s opinion on new vs. used? Worth the pain to deal with a used dirtbike (15-20 years+) or just go with something new or newish? I don’t have a garage right now so carb cleaning is about as involved as I’d be able to get. One thing I’ve noticed is plated dirtbikes barely go down in value as they age at least locally, so it makes new(er) a lot more attractive. Not really worth dealing with a 10 year old XR650L for $4000 when a new one is $7000.

I don’t have a truck or the time to go drive 2 hours to ride somewhere. Just looking for something to ride about 30 minutes to local fire roads and come home. Ideally so some loop routes. There are some stupid sick trails and fire roads in the San Gabriel Mountains, so it’s not like it’s less fun than going somewhere deep in the desert just different.

My top choice is a WR, then either an XR or DRZ.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Everywhere.

Basically the new bike is faster and more responsive in the soft map than the older bike is in the hot map. The hot map is that much again faster.
    The old bike has a RK tech head and is tuned to my liking.
    If you insist on cranking it WFO all the time it’s probably not the right bike for you. If you ride with throttle control you’ll probably really like it.

650 RACER likes this.
  19. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I'm a woods guy but like my bikes on springs. Can't wait to give one a go!!!

20. That’s a given, don’t worry about the details as they should all fit.