1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building muscle /rehab in your 50s

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Dec 14, 2022.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Once you start, it’s hard to stop the shots. So, hence my caution in starting that path at all. My case, my testosterone was at 35 year olds level, but I wanted to increase it anyway, and my Dr said fine. You also, have to cycle it. 8-9 weeks on, 4-5 off. During the off, its more shots to keep body making testosterone normally. Those you administer yourself, in your stomach. Also, you’ll plateau and think you need more because the shot almost two weeks ago seems to be not working. Other issues also, blood pressure, pissy attitude, and horny as hell constantly. It isn’t for everyone, as I found out.

2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I have had serious injury and surgery to my left knee and left shoulder years ago. At 64 the knee is surprisingly good. I have ok strength in the shoulder if I do not raise it high. To help retain strength without hurting joints I do some isometrics although not in a structured way. I think isometrics are worth looking into.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Those things “aren’t for everyone” also. Many people just assume those things will come with TRT, but that is not the case. Yes, they are possible, especially if the dosage is wrong. But they don’t occur by default.

And those (minor) things would be worth the benefits, IMO.

If anyone is considering TRT, I would advise doing some research utilizing non-biased, scientific based sources.

There are SO many myths and so much sensationalistic bullshit out there about TRT.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Maybe myths, to some, but not in my case. First advise, don’t take it unless it’s absolutely necessary. Then go slow, and be willing to stop if there’s issues. That ain’t easy when you see the gains it provides. Getting bigger/ stronger is addictive, and the helpers are sometimes difficult to quit. Bottom line brother, proceed with caution.

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've practiced yoga off and on for the past 11 years. I increase my strength and flexibility gradually whenever I stick with it. I'm similar in age to you, and I seem to always be either working to build strength pre-joint surgery, or working to rebuild strength post-surgery. Fortunately, my PT facility allows patients to use their facility freely for only $30./ mo. My PT will 'coach me' a bit when I'm there, also.

skidooboy and dave3593 like this.
  6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I realize you're talking about rehab and usually that requires lifting very light weights- don't despair, you can still protect what muscle you have and even grow more during this period.

This podcast is brand new and IMO will answer a lot of questions. Dr. Schoenfeld is a former bodybuilder and strength coach. He has completed alot of documented research and believe it or not, many things that we believed about muscle growth and strength were disproven.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/brad-schoenfeld

I just listened and learned a few things myself. Some highlights that I didn't know and that are very important:

• High rep / light weight is just as effective for building muscle as Low rep / High weight. HOWEVER- you must go to 1-3 reps from failure. (you only have the ability to do 1-3 more reps). Heavier weights will increase strength, but Hypertrophy (muscle growth) is actually greater with the low weight / high rep method.
    • Protien intake is king. You will grow muscle and retain muscle, even if you're in a calorie deficit, if you hit your protein goals. 1.6-2.2 Grams of protein per KG of Lean body mass. Post workout protein is less important to muscle growth than hitting your overall daily protein goals.
    • 10-20 sets per muscle group, per week is optimal for muscle growth
    • Multi Joint exercises are the best- better than pure isolation movements ( for most of us)
    • Cardio sessions in between resistance sessions have no effect on recovery / muscle growth. As long as you're not doing major endurance training. (Think Marathons)
    • Resistance training can be beneficial even if you start into your 80's. Improved bone density, posture, etc.
    I learned alot and it will help my program into the future. I'm always trying to lose that last 10-15 lb of fat- so on days I don't lift, I go cycling or running, and end up with a calorie deficit. I'm glad to know that if I hit my protein goals, I won't undo my weight training.

His philosophy also fits in nicely with what I personally believe- resistance training is the fountain of youth. Whenever I see an old dude that looks younger / more active than his age- he lifts weights.

FWIW- all of his research is without exogenous hormones.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  7. What has he disproven?

Those points you listed have been widely known and accepted for a very long time.

Has he came up with something new?

8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I would start at the basics and progress slowly... I will do this if I have more than 6 months away from lifting and try to return.

start with full body/core general fitness exercises. Do the ones without weights. Suck up your ego and do them... The girls on the internet will embarass you with their bodyweight strength and endurance. +/- add small weights with the workouts after a while or just skip ahead. You will build core and general strength and endurance as you slowly get back into it. The lighter weight and higher frequency lets your body gradually get used to movement and injury I think is less likely.

after a while of that, mix in the basic combo lifts (bench, squat, deadlift) but at reduced range of motion to fit your body... 1/2 squats, board bench, light deadlift pulls off the rack whatever ROM your body can tolerate without pain.
    in addition to that I would start power and speed movements. This is the stuff that crossfit has made popular... but has been generally used in fitness and military training forever. Grab a dumbell off the ground, snatch it over your head and put it back down... do that with good form and speed. Look up dumbell power snatch. It is easy to do and is a good beginning speed and power exercise.

From there you can go the weightlifting route and stick with your lifts, progressive overload and add accessory muscle work...
    Or you can go the olympic lifting route and learn barbell movements... The olympic movements train/require more range of motion (shoulder, back, hips, ankles) and are technically obviously more difficult but rewarding.

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Also, I didn't mention it because it's kind of a given, but clear anything through your doc/physical therapist/etc. When you're starting out with rehab the focus is just on range of motion, passive then active, and stretching. Then progression to light muscle activating with bands and PT exercises, even if its only a partial range of motion (the muscle activation throung the mind/muscle connection is what youre after).

When you clear that and are good to go for resistance training, then you transition to some of the stuff listed in here. Definatley DO NOT go straight into training. I'm a firm believer I'm making sure you build up a base layer or functional mobility and strength before you start to apply stress through more vigorous workouts. That includes a focus on all of the musculature around your injury, not just whatever was injured.

Be patient, progress deliberately and slowly, and before you know it you'll be better than before.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Maybe, but not by me!

What I found interesting is that when you try to do basic research, there is so much garbage out there. Much of it is based on Bro Science. You have to eat within 4 hours. You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time (recomp). Heavy weight for size light weight for getting cut. Etc. Maybe everyone already knew that was BS?

I am just happy that I found a resource that answered alot of my questions and helped me to refine my personal program.

11. If you know what you are doing, have your diet in order (and the willpower to stick to it), you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

But you can’t *maximize* one while doing the other. I think that’s where the whole “You can’t build muscle and lose fat” thing came from.

Technically you can, but it is difficult and requires a lot of focus and discipline.

It is easier to maximize muscle building for a period of time, then maximize fat loss for a period of time, and end up with a net gain of x lean mass.

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Perfect timing of a thread.....Im 53, 6'1", 195 lbs butt nekkid. I've always felt i've been in pretty good shape due to the nature of my work....concrete construction for 35 yrs. I've never worked out in my life before.
    I usually cut weight/try to maintain end of summer weight, in the winter when I'm laid off.....stationary bike and eating better.

Most recent injury was left shoulder about 5 yrs ago....MRI showed bursitis, impingement, some arthritis, sprain/strain, but no rotator cuff tears or the like. PT for 3 months, bands, shoulder strengthening exercises to separate the bones that were causing the impingement.

I've had a broken collarbone, broken leg, broken foot bone, pinched nerve in lower back (that was the worse) and shoulder injury all on the left side.

I've no real advice....I created my own little home gym with a set of NORDICTRACK adjustable dumbbells 10-55lbs in 2.5 lb increments, incline bench and stationary bike.

I'm trying to build muscle and cut weight. I (think I know) know building muscle and eating in caloric deficit and high protein intake will help with cutting weight all by itself. But the cardio definitely helps.

Check out LIVE ANABOLIC on YT for over 50 workouts and I've been making meals from REMINGTON JAMES on YT....Dude is halfway entertaining , his recipe videos are fast and laid out nicely.

I'm staying on a 2000 calorie diet, keeping sugar to a minimum, carbs on the low side and eating 160-230 g/P per day.

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

At your age Growth hormone is another option. It’s expensive though and you need to get broad spectrum cancer blood work done and get a full body scan for any small potentially cancerous growths before you start the therapy. If you’re in the clear hit a 1-2 iu per day and you’ll feel and look 10 years younger. Also a stem cell IV bag will rejuvenate your body’s overall health. Do that one BEFORE the growth hormone

14. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Interested thread/timing. I just turned 40, but am/was struggling overcoming a back injury, strange hair loss, and fighting constant fatigue.

Had doc run labs, and my total T was low(200-300 at 2 different lab runs), my estradiol was low too, but my free T was normal. Sort of a strange combination.

Started TRT 4 weeks ago. (Low dose gel) My energy is way improved, and I have the strength to do some light workouts again. I'm just beginning this journey so I hope I don't regret this path.....