1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup | 2022 | Qatar

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Having lived there, I'm cheering for Argentina.
    I'd love to see Messi get it as the cherry on top of everything else he's earned.

I do love an underdog and I'd like to see Morocco beat France, but I don't think that will go.

2. Jedb

minor edit.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

RE: Croatian Girl

I may be in the minority here, but I really don't find her that attractive and don't get all the hoopla about her. Too much look at me, which is a huge turn-off

4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Too much plastic.

YamahaRick, Banditracer and BigBird like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed.

6. Jedb

She needs some actual legs with muscle and tone.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Here we go! I love this announcing team. @henry_carlson you know who they are?

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I added the qualifier at the end because I acknowledge my lack of exposure outside of the WC. Regardless, it feels special to get to watch him play.

9. Jedb

I was lucky enough to watch Maradona play live in 1986 in Cordoba, Argentina. He was amazing in his ability to see the field for *his* runs.
    Having followed Messi through Barcelona, PSG and always with the Argentine team, I agree; it's special to watch him play.
    In contrast to Maradona, Messi is amazing in his ability to see the field for both his runs, and his teammate's runs. You can see that in the assist vs. the Dutch.
    False step, quick acceleration, threaded through the defender's legs to time the pass to his teammate's run, in-stride.

While Maradona was impressive, Messi is just on another level.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    Yzasserina, cBJr and ungwaha like this.
  10. Jedb

Argentina goes up 1-0 on a PK.

Slightly clumsy by the Croatian keeper.
    Messi buried it in the upper v.

Croatia's not dead yet though.

11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

uugghhh that PK was weak.

That second goal was legit.

Jedb likes this.
  12. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Stu Holden is a former national team player and John Strong is an announcing lifer, JS started with the MLS and worked his way up. They call all the big Fox Soccer games iirc, they've been together for a long time and I agree, they are excellent! tbh a huge thing in American soccer fandom is the lack of Americans getting opportunities to do media so these two are extra special

Yzasserina likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

and there's 3.

Argentina basically in the final

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Is Max Bretus still commentating? I always found him fairly amusing and occasionally he would do a game with Eric Wynalda, who didn't care who he upset by calling it how he saw it.

henry_carlson likes this.
  15. Jedb

I played club ball with Wynalda. Great striker and me being a keeper, he was a terror during practice.
    He definitely had zero consideration on how he called things as an announcer.

henry_carlson likes this.
  16. henry_carlson

Think he is just doing the LAFC local broadcasts, he left ESPN a while ago

17. Robin172

When I first started watching football in the US he was on regularly, not knowing much about football in the US, I just thought he was bit of an over opinionated prick, as time went on and I got to know the game more here I realised that he was speaking the truth and was often right about things. He also has a pretty good sense of humour, I quite like him now.

18. Jedb

I was playing U-17s and U-19s at the time and he was +3 years on me. Playing for San Diego State, and the Nomads professional team.
    He was not lacking in self confidence and a bit of a dick, but you're not on the National Team without that.

henry_carlson and BigBird like this.
  19. henry_carlson

Now he had some real drama at national team level, not some whiney attitude bs

20. Robin172

You mean like when he started to take on the Mexico fans after an international match or when John Harkes was banging his wife...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022