1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Chinese brake rotors - good, or not?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by elevenn7, Dec 10, 2022.

1. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Looking for a set of replacement brake rotors for a 2nd gen sv650. I'm seeing sets all over ebay for $150- $160. Anybody ever tried a set? I'd be using them for club racing. The Galfer or EBC rotors are $300+ per set - a bit more than I want to spend. Used OEM rotors seem to never be strait - so I don't want to gamble with my money. Anyone have any experience with the ebay cheapies?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you want to gamble $160 on questionable rotors??

evakat and StaccatoFan like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Wait! You want a set of rotors for use in an environment where OEM quality, Sunstar rotors struggle, but, are looking to downgrade in quality? What are you thinking? You’re putting yourself and others at risk!

You best be looking at Galfer, Brake Tech, Brembo, Braking, or some other quality rotor. Along with rotors, you’re going to need good (read: expensive!) pads. Or, are you looking at Chinese pads, too?

If you’re already balking at brake component costs, you’re in for many more shocks to your wallet.

Gorilla George and Banditracer like this.
  4. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

You just gotta ask yourself one question: What's the worst that could happen?

5. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

To answer your question, no I have no experience with them. To further my response, I don’t know if this is the hobby for you if you’re looking to cheap out on brakes.

Good rotors aren’t cheap, what you’re considering buying is straight throwing money away. Save a little longer, wait till tax season, pick up an extra shift, do something so that you can afford quality braking components.

Ask yourself this, would you feel comfortable if the guy right behind you on a high speed front straight was on the cheapest brakes he could find?

Banditracer and ducnut like this.
  6. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You answered your own question with the first 4 words in the thread title.

StaccatoFan and ducnut like this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

I would try the china rotors on the street but no way in hell am I getting those anywhere near the track.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question....Probably something an idiot said to make himself feel better.

jasonhise likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've used (and am using) some stamped steel Chinese rotors on my mountain bike, which I'm probably not going faster than 25'ish miles an hour on. I damn sure wouldn't do that on my bike that I'm doing 140mph on.

11. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

I heard that Nick Cannon uses Chinese condoms….

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Factory OEM rotors aren't necessarily up to the task of track/race duty. Lesser quality won't make for an appropriate replacement.

418 and ducnut like this.
  13. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

14. mte78

mte78 Well-Known Member

You can get a set of Brembo Oro Series fronts for $270 and $55 rear from Italy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I picked up Braking SK rotors from STG less than oem. Hit them up.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You tryin' to give @Gorilla George an aneurism? WTH, man? :D

17. That money should have went into powder coating those uglyass wheels. :Puke:

18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Not good.
    Bought a lightweight rear rotor once from china. Very warped from day one.

19. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

Maybe check into the bike master rotors. my guess there probably made by sun star. i never tried them but the price is good. Better than risking some ebay cheapys