1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hangar life?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Dec 4, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Since my Montana shack will likely be on the chopping block very soon due to the divorce, I'm contemplating my next move for my summer residence in Montana. We have a small airport in Red Lodge, and recently I've sort of been kicking around the idea of building a custom hangar with an apartment of my design inside. This would accomplish a few things: affordable, quick to build, great place to store all my vehicles, and most importantly... a great conduit to plane ownership, which I've always wanted to do, but haven't prioritized.

Anyone with experience and can comment on pros and cons?

For myself, the big con is that its not a suitable place to leave behind for my kids and grandkids to visit in the summers and holidays after I depart.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

That Desmo hitting the auction block?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yes, likely.

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

General aviation is basically my entire life. I’d be glad to help.

The airport I found in Red Lodge is a public airport. For the most part, it is illegal to live at a public airport (they call it “through the fence”). It also has issues that you often lease the land and the hangar becomes the property of the airport after a certain amount of time (sometimes a long time). When you hear of people living on an airport, it is usually a fly-in community. Those are private airports where they don’t have to follow all the federal laws. This is an over-simplification of course, but should help get you started. I wouldn’t look at it as an affordable financial decision. Everything to do with airplanes and airports is VERY expensive. You need to do it because you want to do it.

My advice would be to start by getting your private license. You should see if you like it before you get too deep in any other plans.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  5. SteveThompson

I found two Montana fly-in communities with a quick search.

https://alpineairpark.com/

Look like a hangar is a little over $1M and homes start at around $5M. I think I have a friend who lives here. I can ask him if you’re interested.

https://www.refugeairranch.com/

I’ve seen these developers at events I’ve attended. They seem legit. Beware that aviation is full of dreamers and crooks, so it is important that you don’t get involved in someone’s scheme.

418, ducnut, R1M370 and 1 other person like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

interesting... Ive only met a couple residents of those places and the intial impression is they smelled like the "crook" side of things.
    One of them didnt fly at all and was located in Jupiter, Fl...

SteveThompson likes this.
  7. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

House inside the hangar actually looks pretty cool IMO.

68b6047dd8e19ab42fd85e4c56c061d7.jpg

8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I have it under somewhat good authority most wimmens dont wanna live at an airport. So if you are trying to stay single, this is a good plan!

YamahaRick and tony 340 like this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Northern Michigan has all kinds of cabins with their own air strip

ducnut likes this.
  10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

When I ask my buddy at his deer camp why he doesn't put a toilet or running water in his answer is always the same:

" If I make it too comfortable here, that bitch will follow us up here."

The man is a genius

Phl218, Banditracer and auminer like this.
  11. SteveThompson

You’re right.

Florida has tons of airport living. Spruce Creek has 1300 houses. I know some of the Leeward family and they have the Leeward Air Ranch with lots of on-airport living. You can have a grass runway at your house, but you are signing up for a big project and you are fairly limited on your airplane choices.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Someone will buy it from them.

13. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Forget fixed wing and go rotor. Then you can build wherever you like and only need about 150' diameter to land. Much more functinal option.
    Plus flying a helicopter is more enjoyable IMO.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

buy a piece of land where you like, build a barndominium. hunt, ride, hike, from home. drive to the plane. Ski

5axis likes this.