1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Just passed a dude on the freeway balled up in a fetal position in the diamond lane with his bike about 20 feet away

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That sucks. I still have the desire to ride my bike back and forth to work occasionally, but in reality, with the texting while driving, etc I’m not sure the pleasure is worth the risk.

BigBird likes this.
  3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The tags on this thread kill me.

Sweatypants likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

because it's true? :Poke:

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

1 outta 2 ain’t bad. :D

cortezmachine likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

but 0/2 ain't great

cortezmachine likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I need to unsubscribe from this thread.

You maroons have me wondering if this is the top and I should sell...........like I should've done at 37.5K for the DIA.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

Kidding aside, I'm in the hole by 4.72% YTD. I'd love to get it back to black. I haven't had a red year in over a decade.

10. Boman Forklift

That's great. YTD I'm down 17.92% per Fidelity, but only 11.84% for 1 entire year.

11. SuddenBraking

We have similar investments (and both use Fidelity), but mine are just a teensy bit better :p

upload_2022-12-2_18-37-51.png

upload_2022-12-2_18-38-4.png

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I don't know what you folks are doing...but

Attached Files:

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Kenny Pelosi?

14. Venom51

I am still down a little from the peak of 37k but not down for the year. I've still got about $200k to make back up to recover to peak levels.

15. Boman Forklift

What the F are you doing? You could Bernie Madoff a bunch of us with those returns. A bunch of mine is in a 500 index fund, then some in a large cap and some in a couple stocks.

16. Venom51

I have been with the same investment adviser for quite some time. We chat every quarter, make a few adjustments and then leave shit alone. The only time I have ever tried to "time the market" was during the I.Q. Flu events. I saw that as a one-time opportunity that if we got it right would pay off well or if it went the way the box of lies and magic said it would we'd all be dead and it wouldn't matter if I got it wrong anyway. Turns out over the long haul that is likely to have been a good call. We layered in the $500k I was holding in cash to cash flow the house build as close to the bottom of that as we could. We still haven't dropped back below what that made on the other side of the V.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

That's awesome!!!

If I read it right, the % return I saw was over 20% up this year. I'm sure in hindsight that maybe easy to do, but with what happened this year, if that is your YTD, that is amazing.

18. SuddenBraking

I mean, I can cherry pick different accounts and find a good view............

upload_2022-12-2_21-13-7.png

But if I'm being honest, the first screenshot above is my total portfolio (in Fidelity, anyhow).

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Was just chatting with my guy, up about 5% compounded over the last 3 yrs. But he keeps on me about sitting on too much in cash account, and wanting me to get it back in the markets. I know I have missed out on growth on that (not unsubstantial) amount, but with all the doom and gloom with rising interest rates, housing crisis etc. I like knowing I always have that available. Not having any payments (mortgage, car, toys etc) makes this counterintuitive for him.

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar