1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk heated socks!

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Dec 1, 2022.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The party's over if my toes get cold and tailgating has been a blast so far, so I don't want to miss any of it.

Any recommendations? Experiences?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thick wool and insulated boots.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have a pair of LENZ brand from Battery Heated Socks & Electric Socks - The Warming Store

At the time they were the only ones I found that had rechargable batteries and a remote (ap on phone) which was important as I wear them under my waders. 5 years in and they still work well. There are now several competitors with similar features these days at much better prices but based on my experience I will probably get the same brand.

Features I would consider a must:
    • at least 60% merino wool. With electrics your feet will sweat at some point, especially if you do a bit of walking around and forget to turn them down.
    • Remote control (see above) and its way more convenient than digging under a bunch of clothes to adjust the settings
    • Heated toecap. for the most part a heated sole is fine but with the toecap heat you will warm up much quicker and works much better when wearing them under your boots while riding on a cold day or sitting around on a wet/windy one.

Once a Wanker.. and DmanSlam like this.
  4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Get a pocket full of those little disposable plastic heat packs you find at the check out of the big box stores? I’ve used them a couple of times when I was caught not having proper shoes/socks and worked great.

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

All of my socks, including bicycling socks, are a Merino wool blend.

bpro likes this.
  6. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I have the Global Vision heated socks. Only use them a couple times a year, but they're very warm and just the ticket for sitting still all day in a tree while hunting. Been a few times where I've had to turn them off because they're pretty dang warm without the heaters on. The battery pack is slightly bulky for causal use I would think...

+1 on Insulated boots. That's a better place to start than heated socks.

Other than that, I use Darn Tough wool socks otherwise, if it's not going to be freezing weather.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

CBRRRRR999, pickled egg and R Acree like this.
  8. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Use FP insoles for skateboarding

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't have anything against heated clothing for specific tasks, but I'm not wearing the stuff before or after the event so...
    where and when I don and doff this shit becomes the question cuz I'm certainly not walking around in it all day with batteries hanging off my ass...
    and I'll be goddammed if I have anything connected to a smart phone associated with my protective clothing. To what end I ask? Oh, I'm cold, let me whip out my phone? Now what? Is that voice activated or do I have to remove my/a glove(s), not to mention, do I have to have the phone buried so deeply under my layers of warm clothing for it to also survive the cold?

Do you have solar panels attached to your shoulders? So, again, now what? Spare batteries? USB cord/charger plugged into what? Out in the middle of fucking nowhere? :rolleyes:

I can see it for performance/active sports where the fit of the "sock" or whatever can have detrimental effects on your performance, like downhill skiing. :cool:

Sittin' in a tree or standing in freezing water, will you also bring your Keurig? :Poke:
    :D

BTW, how much will this "convenience" end up costing you? More than a couple pairs of good socks and boots? Oh, most definitely when you add it all up.
    Let me know when those electronic/electrical things last a few decades. Better yet, do the math now. How many batteries are you gonna go through, how many times can those socks be crammed into a bag before they short out, what happens when that "app" isn't supported by the next latest and greatest ankle monitor?

Save your money. Go buy a pair of 1000g boots and wool clothing. Do not skimp on the quality. Decades later, you'll still have 'em and they'll still be functional while providing the same performance as when they were new.

<bear with me, just started workin' the first pot of coffee this morning> :D

Yzasserina and BigBird like this.
  10. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

These things work great for spending a day on the ice while wearing relatively un insulated riding boots/
    feetsice.JPG

ice500.jpg

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You people are funny. Shit like that is why God made interstate highways.

5axis likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m not certain a thread about cold feet is something you are currently qualified to comment on…. :Poke:

5axis likes this.
  14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

How about a thread on a cold heart? That would be for you.:Poke:

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you can find it, you’re welcome to take its temperature. :moon:

16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The temp is dropping, so I guess I can feel cold of your tiny little heart from here, even 50 miles away.:(

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shit. Thanks for the reminder.

Gotta go get some frozen meeses for the slitherpet.

18. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Insulated, electric or wool be sure to rub down first with this.
    8495aefd-5398-4e4c-9ac1-a486623ffc79.4def69baab6da8a09447ee79d535708a.jpeg.jpg

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I find wrapping tampons around my feet helps keep them warm.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I simply asked about heated socks and you guys went into full cunt mode trying to prove your manhood.

Pretty standard around here tho! :crackup:

23103a likes this.