1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Card Referral?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lanceabillion, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Lanceabillion

Lanceabillion Registered Abuser

What do you use for Credit Cards? We have been doing the Chase Freedom Unlimited card and putting EVERYTHING on it other than cash purchases. I found out today because I only paid $5000 of an $8900 balance for September, and then paid off the rolled-over portion and the new purchases in full in October, that I had an interest charge now that has exceeded $100 that is rolling over for the last two months because I need to pay two months in a row the full balance.

For years, I have paid the card in full every month. I cannot think of a time when we carried a balance over. I also use the Chase Ink Business card for my business and will rethink that, because I am sure that has the same terms.

I liked the cash back, but I am better off getting a card with an annual fee of $100-150 than using a card like that under those circumstances. I expect to always pay the card off each month, but I don’t want excessive rolling fees for a set duration and charges if that doesn’t happen.

Or is that how all cards work? My impression was you just paid the interest of a balance if not paid in full. It wasnt a thing where they extend that for two months even if subsequent months have no balance because of being paid in full.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

depending on what you are trying to achieve through the card spend there are so many options.

thepointsguy.com is a good place to start

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Purple Delta Sky Miles Amex.

4. I use the Amex Delta Reserve.

I put everything on it. All the shit I buy, cell phone and light bill, everything.

And it is setup for the whole balance to be paid the 1st of every month, no matter what the balance is.

I’ve had the card for like 5 years and have never payed a dime in interest. But it helps me keep my Diamond status with Delta, and we use the miles to go to Cancun a few times a year.

BigBird and cpettit like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just call your friendly local credit card agent...

[​IMG]

JCW likes this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not sure what the issue is... it sounds like you carried a balance over and had to pay the interest charge. Thats normal when you don't pay the statement balance in full.

As for which card, that depends on your goals.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you're more mathematically inclined, milevalue.com is a better resource.

And OP, Flyertalk has a section all about credit cards.......

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Don't even have one.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  9. Lanceabillion

Lanceabillion Registered Abuser

I get that. I paid the balance in full before the next bill and paid the next one in full But they are carrying over a "fee" interest for another two months. That is the part I don't get.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Did you pay the remaining portion of the original balance or the balance including the interest?

Charge 5k
    Statement 1 pay 3k
    Accrue $50 in interest between statement dates.
    Statement 2 pay 2k
    Account shows balance of $50.23 or something.

Or did you pay $2050 for statement 2 in the above example?

11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've had good luck calling them and having the fee removed. In my case it was a late fee but the balance was paid in full (I was a few days late paying the balance). I've had the card for a long time and am in "good standing" with them so I sure that helps.
    That may not help you in the future if it occurs again but they may be willing to remove the fee this time.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1

I've done this a few times over the years. Pay in full, but sometimes my bookkeeper or I miss it, or I'm traveling and didn't sign the check in time....yada...yada. I think over the last 17 years it has happened at 3 times and they have adjusted it off every time, AFAIK.

It is definitely worth the call. Tell them to look at your history and notice that you always pay on time. It was just either sent late or lost in the mail, but can they please do you a favor and reverse all the interest and late fee charges?

Good Luck

13. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

We use our Capital One card for everything that we can put on it. We get 2 miles for every dollar, which can be converted to credits for travel or merchandise, or used to pay a credit card balance. It has added up really quickly. We have about 750,000 miles on balance now, which if traded in would be about $7500. We’re just letting it add and add up.

tl1098 likes this.
  14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I totally get that mentality (it's fun to see!), but keep in mind that they can change the program or if you're not in "good standing" that you may not have the same benefit. You don't earn any interest on it, so again, while it's cool to see the balance that high, it isn't doing you any favors either.

gixer1100 likes this.
  15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Before the next bill or before the end of the billing cycle?

16. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

we pay off the balance every 2 weeks, so the outstanding balance never gets over $2600. (10% of the credit limit). We’ll always be in good standing. The miles don’t expire either. We have that in writing.

17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I use my Costco card for dining - 3% cashback. And at Costco (duh) for 4% back.

Sams Club card for gas - 5% cashback, at any gas station that takes MC.

Navy Federal Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card for everything else - 2 % cashback.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

AMEX Platinum

Pretty good perks especially if you travel a decent amount. Entry to all the AMEX Centurion Lounges around the world. Pays for Global Entry/Pre-check, pays for yearly CLEAR membership. $200 a year credit for incidental charges of airline of your choosing, $15 a month (+$20 in Dec) Uber credit. A bunch of other free memberships for stuff. It's yearly membership fee is on the higher side ($550) but all the perks easily cover that.

DucatiBomber and Phl218 like this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The perks for the Amex platinum has dropped way off for the costs. :-(

het broome, how long did I yell at you to get an Amex? Lol! Glad you saw the light. Lol. I’d tell you you need a single visa or Mastercard but, I don’t have energy anymore to convince your big stubborn ass about much anymore. :-D

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I still do the Chase Trifecta (Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve) . There's probably better, but it's what I have.

Here's my link for Sapphire Reserve. https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19p/3WN64IPJNJ

"Your friend will get 80,000 bonus points after they spend $4,000 in the first three months their account is open."

The annual fee is $550, but you get $300 back refunded on travel items, even a parking garage or EZ-Pass, etc. and if you book those points through the Chase portal, same as like Expedia, etc, just their own site. it's worth 1.5x more for travel. so it'll be almost worth $1,200 in travel

It's also one of the few cards that the car rental insurance protection sits above your own insurance. A lot of cards have gotten rid of the program altogether.