1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Story Behind the Numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

#666 Richie Doan in the NC region, who went on to work for Yosh for many years. Had to listen to Dead Kennedys for countless hours in the truck with him.

2. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Have used 707 since I asked a respected friend who was a great super modified racer out of all of the numbers he ran in his lifetime which was his favorite. He did not even think about it and said 707, I asked why and he said it was the number on the car that he won his first race in.

If you are into numerology etc it also has a profound meaning. I like that it has a meaning of doing things for others and that we should count everything as a blessing, be it either good or bad.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

That was Buzz. Brian Lantz also ran 119 for a while, but I was racing in the SE by then so we didn;t really overlap.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

51. Since I was 8 years old because of randy Johnson and partly because of cole trickle at the end of days of thunder...

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

862 - its the first part of the phone number identifying my hometown, new waterford, cape breton, nova scotia. 862-xxxx

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

101 - wild turkey, my drink of choice at the young age I got my first race number.

7. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

996- Number I ran on my first trackday in 2004 on an '03 Honda Superhawk (996cc.) Since then it just kinda stuck...
    Still have the bike :D

Gino230 likes this.
  8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Meet the Magnum Brothers.

[​IMG]

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

47 for Sam Williams to pay my respects to a great man.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I wanted 41 for Haga but it was taken so I added a 0 and got 410. My bday is April 10 so it worked out. :D

I also ran 79 and 790 for a while.... no real reason, but I've noticed some good riders using it on the world stage lately, and I get a little smile. :)

11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I raced a night time motocross series with a club called USMRA at El Toro Speedway in the winter of 1972-3 when I was in law school, and they assigned me 48D. I started using that everywhere, since you could race mx in at least 6-7 different clubs in LA at that time, and they all assigned different numbers if you didn't request one. I got attached to the 48, eventually dropped the D. Raced with 48 in mx for 40+ years. When I joined AHRMA in 1993 and started road racing again, I asked for 48, and they added an X, and I used it until I stopped in 2018 due to an injury. I've been very consistent since 1972 -- slow as hell, and, number 48. Before that, I used lots of different numbers, but still slow as hell LOL.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My original novice number with ccs amd wera was 40 it was a number I wore when I played football, coincidentally I broke my leg when I wore that number and broke my ankle when it was my race number. So I ditched it and went to 408 with is the date my dad passed away since he gave me the love of motorcycles. When I finally went expert I switched to 35 another football number I wore amd had a a few good seasons wearing it amd thankfully have not crashed with it

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Dave roper was running 711 at the time which is what i wanted. so I got 117 for a bit then switched to 177. Rope runs 7 now.

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

My racing hero was Richard Petty, as all I had ever watched was oval track racing, before getting into bikes. Could have his number as it was already in use, so I put a 1 in front of it.

15. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Was always 88, ‘cause it reads the same upside down, upright, even kinda on its side….

Banditracer and auminer like this.
  16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Race #274

I wanted 272 to match my V&H FZR600 limited edition (#272 of 636) I own. I had that for 2 weekends way back in th e90s. Then a guy that had 272 before me showed up at one event, so I had to change my number. I haven't seen him since then.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Same reason Earl Hayden said he took 69.

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

When I first started racing cars my number was 666 (because hail satan) I had it for a few years, but then one year a "pro" driver from out west started competing with us and my sanctioning org told ME i had to change it even though i filled all my license and reg info out well before him...

I chose 52 because you can mirror it lol I like symmetry....

When I switched to bikes CCS gave me #52 my first year, but when I wanted to race WERA I think Nolan Lampkin still had it and they gave me 520... I try every year for 52, but I get 520 instead.

19. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

942 was my dad's number when he drag raced cars. Now that he has passed away , that will be my number as long as Mongo lets me keep it

DrA5, stk0308 and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Never cared for me in anything but my kid was assigned 13 when she started travel lacrosse and it stuck. Shit, when she does a guest event for another team they seem to find it for her. lol

Her back up is 44. “Gonna get some cold cuts, some cold cuts. 44, that’s me! Whoo!”