1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Story Behind the Numbers

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Nov 29, 2022.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

When I was working in the AMA paddock, I always wanted to do a series for the AMA Raw spinoff podcast segment I was doing for Sidestand Cafe' Podcast.

"What is the story behind your racing number?"

I was always intrigued about why someone chose a certain number.

My number is 15. I went to that one for two reasons, Bart Starr and Thurman Munson. You cant grow up in Wisconsin and not realize the legend that is Bart Starr. Gentleman Warrior who is one of the best QBs of all time. Yes, I said it. Thurman was my sporting hero growing up.

I still run #15 on my racing sea kayak and surfski. When I enter a race, I ask if I can just keep my number for the registration process, which each time I ask, they allow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what is the story behind some of the famous, or not-so-famous riders and their/your number?

Steeltoe, ducnut and Norton 357 like this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Mongo gave it to me.

fastfreddie likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Mine is 115. 11 for Mark Messier, 5 for Nigel Mansell.

My son is 135. The one means nothing, 35 is for Mike Richter (and it's my sons jersey number).

Sabre699, DrA5 and dtalbott like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Month and year I was born. Yeah, I’m a triple digit and don’t care:D

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The V8 is probably the best all around boat they make. Nice.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Was 620 then 62, year I was born.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

With WERA, myself and two other buddies wanted successive numbers and 792, 3 and 4 were the only ones available.

With XC, 589 is just what they gave me when 792 wasn't available.

8. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

My favorite caliber

Steeltoe likes this.
  9. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

My number is 15. I went to that one for two reasons, Bart Starr and Thurman Munson. You cant grow up in Wisconsin and not realize the legend that is Bart Starr. Gentleman Warrior who is one of the best QBs of all time. Yes, I said it. Thurman was my sporting hero growing up.

I was a big fan of Bart Starr too. He signed our football when my brother and I were just kids and he was visiting a friend of my mom's. We wore that ball out playing with it every day. Wish I had understood how much better it would have been to keep it pristine. But then, it was the only football we had back then.

DrA5 likes this.
  10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I had just purchased a new white ATK 406 with red and blue stripes. Decided to use a "real " number instead if the traditional electrical tape 1's and 7's I normally used at local races since we were going to start running the GNCC and NHS races.

Totally stumped on what number until one fateful morning after partying all night, sitting on the couch with a couple like minded friends and watching Herbie the love bug and laughing our asses off. #53 it was.

When I decided to give WERA a try several years later #53 was taken so #353 it was.

dtalbott likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Year I was born.....

DrA5 likes this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

119 is the number WERA gave me in 1977. I tried a few others over the years, but they weren't right, so I have just stayed with 119. After this many years, it is just what my number is.

13. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

#424 was my novice number, and when I got to go 2 digit as an expert, I went with 42. That's twice 21 (Eddie Lawson) and half 84 (Fred Merkel). Since then, the number of things in my life that contain 42 with no input from me, makes me wonder what the heck is going on in the universe. It's also the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

fastfreddie likes this.
  14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I thought you were 109...or was that Buzz?

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Cuz you get 8 more.

tech1234 likes this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I actually started a thread on this a loooong time ago now that I think about it. It would have been on the old board format so I'm sure it's not findable.

17. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

At one point as a novice, it was the weight class that I boxed in 2 years running for this tournament that we had on campus when I was in college. Now it's unlucky 13...since I generally have shit luck, I figured having an unlucky number might just result in a positive outcome.

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

This is like MTv's behind the music, only slightly less fictional.

On the registration card, I asked for, in order:
    47 - the quintessential random number of the universe
    107 - for the squadron
    127 - for the wing.

Someone in suite R, level 58, building 2 at WERA Intergalactic Racing HQ Towers Super Compound looked at it and said, "Well, this guy's gonna be dead ..."

... and sent this instead.

getcapped.jpg

fastfreddie likes this.
  19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

VH1 did "Behind the Music". Ya fellow aged fart. I watched it when it was new, too :D

I ran under the same # my father sprint road raced under '79-'83. 538. His endurance team # was 411.

20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Got to use the number I actually wanted in one race.

well, because hail satan!

sharkattack likes this.