1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More riders?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Nov 18, 2022.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Hey Boman, I'm only about 100 miles from Cincinnati. When you fly over to visit your daughter, maybe time it with a race. I'll bring my fzr 600 for you to race and I'll race one of my other bikes. Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges are close to me. I'll be doing Barber at least once.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well probably run in to you also as those are tracks we're familiar with. I was FZR400, RZ350 and RD400 myself. Still have the two strokes.

dave3593 likes this.
  3. dave3593

I would not be surprised if we have met all ready. Were you in a garage at vintage days?

4. rd400racer

Not this year, I've been away for a few years. Last true vintage race I did was 2016 at Mid Ohio. Then 2019 at Nelson on an MZ.

dave3593 likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think there might be a little confusion between the many weddings he's been attending lately. I seem to recall the Cincinnati one being a friend or something.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea my daughter lives in Texas, so I won’t be getting close to those tracks. The Cincinnati wedding was my daughters best friend when they were little. Family moved away after High School to the Midwest. Brrr

Edit: thank you for the invite, though. I have to say I have fond memories of Mid Ohio. I remember being hard on the gas coming out of the keyhole and running off the track, not letting off and coming back on with no problem. Also remember frightening myself in the back section, coming over a rise with too much speed, and having a turn I wasn’t expecting.

dave3593 likes this.
  7. dave3593

:rolleyes:
    Oops

8. dave3593

I'd sure like to see you MZ.

9. rd400racer

I sold the race one but still have a street version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JBall, dave3593 and Banditracer like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

How do you like it ? I looked into selling them back in the day, talked to the importer several times but never pulled the trigger.

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Not gonna read through 8 pages but here's my idea: Newbies will be newbies. How about us long term riders? I think it would be cool that once you reach X number of entries paid over your whole riding career with WERA you start to get a discount on entry fees. A starting number might be 300 race entries (roughly $27,000). Why 300? I just figured 30 entries per year X 10 years equals 300. Then start to offer a 20% discount on each class entered. Obviously the number of entries to qualify could be adjusted and the discount % but it would be like a loyalty discount for us old dudes. Personally, I'd love it and might enter more classes on a weekend.

12. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Thats nice and all, but since you're obviously gonna race anyway... what's the incentive for the org to make less money?

13. rd400racer

It handles great but the engine is somewhat lackluster. I owned an SR500 years ago and think it's a bit more spirited despite having less displacement.

Banditracer likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those not always winning stopped running them so they faded away. We have more/better turnouts on Saturday with the current setup which helps us keep prices lower than they'd need to be otherwise.

Same deal, same people kept winning them and then not paying entry fees to win more races and contingency money and did nothing to keep the rest of the riders coming back. Saw absolutely no difference even in the Novices bumping to Expert coming back the next year with or without them. So we put discounts in for new riders (lower license and no tx rental and dropped the school price), that works better.

Inquizid likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quite simply a place to ride without feeling like you're a loser. There is no true competitive drive there.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Morning? That shit is an all day thing at this point :crackup:

RRP likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't worry too much, things have pretty much leveled out over the last decade so the ups and downs are the normal economy based and weather based ones. If we do our end right we'll keep putting on races - and Evelyne knows how to do it right. The huge numbers haven't been around for a long long time, there are just old people on here who remember those days.

Honestly right now things are good on our end. Yeah we have regions where we couldn't justify running and we have bad events and if mother nature is a bitch can even have a bad season but we're never truly close to shutting the doors. Granted, Evelyne truly does want to retire so I'm personally hoping to find a buyer who will continue her legacy, it won't ever make huge amounts of money but it is a profitable good solid business when done the way she does things.

418, MattTries and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10 years no huge break and it's a free license....

Other than that sure we could do discounts, and immediately raise fees to offset those discounts.

50Joe likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Run the numbers on a 4 hour endurance with 2 or 3 riders...

20. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

It felt pretty cool being apart of three wave starts at the GNF. Only started racing 6 years ago, but the turnout for some of those races seemed like the "good Ole days" to me.