1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any garage door opener gurus here?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jul 26, 2020.

1. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Good spot for LED's (when the doors down) or whatever, ceiling mounts screw up using the ceiling..

BigBird likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yesterday, when I fixed the door that wouldn't close.

Yup, took a look at that last year when they stopped working and spent some time on it; long story short, it's above my paygrade.

Yup, that's fair but in my defense I have realized that for a bit and just gotten by with only 2 out of 3 doors working. And I do grease the tracks each year :p

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

SV guys don't understand... gas and go, replace when they blow up.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the idiot, if you are supposed to grease tracks, I have never done that. I have lubed a wheel before, but I don't remember ever greasing a track?

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Yeah, greasing tracks is a newer thing, for plastic rollers.
    If you have a door with metal rollers with ball bearings, lube the bearing

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Be aware that the dead bolt mechanism WILL FAIL, not may fail or might fail. IT WILL. (assuming they have not improved the older design)
    You can probably count on a year, or maybe two, of proper operation but anything more than that seems to be "icing" on your cake.
    See my post on page 1 - So far my repair is still functional, and I have a new replacement to install if it ever fails.

Evad101 likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You ride that kx65 yet? :Poke:

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Nope, give me a year.

9. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Read your post on it and will keep an eye on it. Worst case scenario is I make my own solenoid dead bolt. Pretty simple to do so long as I match the solenoid power requirements with the power output the opener is supplying. This would only be needed if it fails outside of warranty though.

10. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Chamberlain and Craftsman are the same opener. If you can get a Craftsman cheaper, go that route as the only difference is the name on it.

BigBird likes this.
  11. The only viable option is a new house.

dtalbott, SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Custom ordered, in exactly the right color with the upgraded 2800 watt Doormeister opener that won't be available for, well we aren't sure and feel no need to tell you.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

garage door people changed the springs last year. they kinda sucked, but also now the garage door is coming down crooked. One spring has that silver attachment and the other doesn't. should both have it? my spidey senses say yes. (ignore the light wire in there lol)

GridArt_20230712_173412668.jpg

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

looks like some janky assed shit

BigBird likes this.
  15. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

They should both have the safety wire running through the spring.
    Left picture has it, right picture does not; the spring on the right really needs it.
    Bending the spring to create a "hook up" loop seems to weaken the spring and it will fail there,
    in my experience anyway, and without the safety wire it can do some damage to whatever it hits, walls, cars, bikes, people.....

BigBird and beac83 like this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes both should have the safety wire in case the spring breaks. Also they could have different amounts of tension or even worse..different weight ratings meaning one is stronger than the other.

Are both springs the same length when closed? Open? Is one longer than the other?

BigBird likes this.
  17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Dial telephones weren't generally used until ~1920, and not common in rural areas until the 1950's. Before that you had to give the number to the operator who answered tried to use the phone.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

ok boomer :Poke: :p

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"