1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone familiar with Big Block Chevy 7.4 gas engines?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Trying to help my FIL to troubleshoot a Volvo Penta Volvo Penta 7.4gi marine engine. It's basically a Big Block Chevy that has been marinized, or whatever you call it.

It starts, runs till it gets warm and then locks up. Can't spin the driveshaft. It doesn't seem to overheat. After it gets cold it spins again and will start and run. Engine was rebuilt by the previous owner, who wasn't 100% confident in his skills.

Any thoughts on what it can be?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sea water pump works?

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

When you say locks up...the whole motor locks up and wont turn by starter or by hand?

That sounds like lack of clearance in the bearings or pistons. As they expand from heat....oops not enough room to operate.

pickled egg likes this.
  4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I presume it does, you check if there is water coming out of the exhaust? I assume that is how you check that impeller and cooling system is functioning.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Yep, wont turn by hand or with starter. Incorrect crank bearing clearances?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This.

If the guy wasn’t “100% confident in his skills”, it’s a fair assumption that he doesn’t have the skills to measure piston slop, ring end gap or bearing clearances.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Crank, Rod or piston clearance.

An old school rumor was F1 engines wouldnt turn over if they were cold. I dont think this was 100% true but they do pre heat them to near normal temp before starting so the clearances are correct. So its possible something has enough clearance cold and then after heating up and expanding it seizes.

Or your temp gauge is shit and the motor is getting really hot and seizing.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Yeah, sounds like the crank/piston assembly needs o come out and be re-checked.

9. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

If it is that tight and it has been started and run until it seizes it should be fairly evident what the problem is when you tear it down.

Did he do anything to the drive? I would eliminate that as a possible cause before pulling the engine. It would suck to pull the engine and tear it down to find nothing and start a more detailed look and find that a spacer or something was left out of the drive.

Does it make any strange noises when you restart it? If his skills were lacking for peace of mind I would be pulling and disassembling everything, much easier to do now in the shop than to get 25 miles off shore and you need to start rowing :blart:

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

If the clearances were that tight, I would imagine you would have some metal in the oil no? Pull the plug and check.

11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Need to check the oil. Will try that next.

Thanks for all the replies.

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Nothing important to add, but I think when you change a motor to marine use, it has to be be marin-ated.

969, vfrket, Phl218 and 4 others like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m no big block expert, but this seems like a cheap easy check might be a borescope to look inside the cylinders. I would think a lock up would show scars if it is piston related?

If nothing there, then drop the pan and plastigauge the bearings. If you are lucky it may just need a different size of bearings?

fastfreddie likes this.
  14. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

It's a bearing clearance issue.

I had a 400-blocked SBC one time that one main bore was a little tight. The machine shop that built it thought it would be ok. Running it just to break it in it shut off once like I hit the switch. Weird, but it started right back up and sounded fine. Locked up trying to get across the scale at the end of it's first night of racing.

I'd still unhook the drive and try it again. There needs to be some endplay in the drive. The drive could be causing the thrust bearing to seize when hot.

Unless it's a head/head gasket issue. With the drive unhooked if it still seizes I'd pull the plugs as fast as you can and try to roll it over. Look for water coming out a plug hole. The later 454s didn't have the heartiest of head castings.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  15. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

The internals of the engine are the same regardless of the application, truck or boat.

The marine-specific items are external items like the starter, fuel pump, block drains, freeze plugs, etc.

I used to own a SeaRay with a Mercruiser 454. One year it hung an exhaust valve and everything I needed to order for the repairs came from an auto parts store, the valve, push rod, gaskets

Regarding the rebuild, what was the reasoning to rebuild in the first place?

It'd be interesting to know if the PO purchased new bearings and installed or perhaps didn't return the existing bearings to their original location but yeah, another vote for bearing clearance issue

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Basically, just changing all the plugs to brass so shit doesn't rust out.

17. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Hydrolocked??Pull the plugs and crank it over,easier thing to check w/o pulling the motor.

joec likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is the oil pan serviceable sitting in the boat? Engine coming out?

19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Depends. Does the boat have to float afterwards?

If this was an electrician or a plumber with a strong case of "not my job" they'd just sawsall the hell out of the hull and get at it from there. Someone else can deal with the hull problem, I did my part :D.

20. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Pulling a main cap will tell you immediately if it's been repeatedly seized:eek:

Related: