1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full chisel or semi chisel

Discussion in 'General' started by 88/532, Nov 23, 2022.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

What’s your overall preference?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Semi. Doesnt need touched up as often and lower kickback.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Im sorry i thought this was America. Full chisel, big hp, let it eat.

Once a Wanker.. and Ian178 like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The bigger the better.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Totally depends what you are doing and the power of the motorhead. And there are more decisions that just that.

thunderalley3 likes this.
  6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Felling or cutting to length?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. 88/532

Both. Been using full for a long time, but the constant sharpening is a pain. I’ll switch to semi if worth it…overall.

8. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Does depend on what and how often you are cutting. I use Oregon 20 and 72 LPX full chisel, these are .325 and 3/8 chain. I am just cutting firewood on my own property so I can be choosy about what and when I cut so I’m not dealing with mud and other trash.

9. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Full. Make it rain.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Full. Take your skirt off. :)

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

12. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Full all the way.

Get the guide sharpener for a dremel. Takes less than 5 minutes to touch up a chain wether it’s semi or full chisel.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Whichever one doesn't have that pansy-ass anti-kickback BS.

14. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Stihl yellow link, they cut so much better compared to the green link chains. As long as you keep your bar clean, oil full and don’t hit the dirt, you should get lots of cuts before any touch up needed.

Pride & Joy and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Do not f around with these chains! They work so much better but if you screw around they will bite. I almost chopped my leg...just plain ass lucky. I really ought to wear those silly orange chaps.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Carlton chains. After using one, you’ll never use anything else. And, you wouldn’t be debating. ;)

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Thanks! I'll look for a supplier nearby. I had heard that Oregon had more chain choices than Stihl does. Stihl doesn't offer a yellow carbide chain. I have some stumps to cut, and they dull a chain edge quicker, with the more dense wood.

18. 88/532

Carlton is what came on my 1983 model Jonesreds 520SP. Can’t find one to fit it now. Best chain ever on that saw.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Macon Rental Co
    Franklin, NC
    828-524-8911
    talk to Chris

I was telling him about my issues against Locust, Oak, Mulberry, and other harder stuff. He said he’d send me Carlton chains for my saws. Once I swapped them, my buddy, running his saws right next to me, couldn’t believe the amount of chips and how smooth and fast the cuts were. After trying my main saw, he was convinced. The longevity of them is well beyond anything else, too. We both run Carlton, now. I just have Chris send them to me and always keep a couple extras for both saws on the shelf.

BTW, he’s a logging sports competitor, knows saws, and is well-known in the industry. If there’s anything you need, regarding outdoor equipment, he’s your guy. Yes. I’m friends with him. But, I met him through the industry, first. Much like a suspension tuner is to a racer, Chris’ knowledge has helped me so much with getting the most from my equipment.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I prefer open-class bikes for the dirt and street but my chainsaw is mini/mid level. :)
    15yo Stihl MS250 w/16" bar (no easy-start BS?). It's stupid how quickly the full chisel cuts and I love watching the chips fly. Tight conditions, one-hand/weak-hand, up/down/side, hanging like a monkey in a tree, full chisel makes it happen almost effortlessly.
    Any kickbacks I may have ever encountered were easily controlled thanks to the lower weight and output of the saw. It's like the right amount of each for my purposes.
    If it were a professional level saw, I'd be wearing all the protective gear...and making mad money.

ducnut and Once a Wanker.. like this.