1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, the kids want VR headsets for Christmas

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Nov 19, 2022.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

12yo has a CRF125. 8yo has no interest in riding. She's had a CRF50 that I sold to the neighbor and there is a 110 in the garage too. About twice a year, she shows a little interest but then freaks out and gets scared.

dtalbott likes this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I'm sorry.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well....I got my 10 year old boy an Oculus last year for Xmas. It's what he wanted, I was ok with it, because we are usually around.

It has sat pretty much unused since about a week after that.

bleacht likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

And we all got a great gift one Xmas as kids and played with the big box it came in. Same as it ever was.

dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  5. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

We got the PS4 VR set, and my kids love it, but the $ to value ratio isnt really there. They like playing the dinky games that came with it. I played Ironman that came as a set, but it got to complex to quick, Doom is horrid and gave me terrible headaches in seconds. The virtual videos were fun though, rolercoasters, jump scares, tours of the most beautiful places. All in all still a bit gimicy for my taste and not worth the $.

BigBird likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

To many red flags......told the wife this morning, VR is dead unless they want a racing simulator.

Phl218 and dtalbott like this.
  7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

My only experience with VR is on my neighbors racing simulator and it was amazing. He set me up to drive mosport and aside from not having the visual marks on the asphalt for reference, it was like I was there. If I had room I’d have one but probably not VR. A proper sim rig gets expensive quick but you’ll have kids that can drive better than you before you know it.

BigBird likes this.
  8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Climbing shoes and a short term gym membership? Then she can be the cool kid.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i tried it on a motion sim and it quickly became a vomit comet

10. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The problem is unless you have super high end equipment , it's nowhere near as good as a good triple or curved monitor setup . I was on VR for 5+ years and have about the best computer money could buy 3 years ago.
    VR did not have the clarity . With monitors, I can find my reference points & read my dash without the screen door effect.
    All of that is specific to iRacing , as I've never tried any other sim game in VR.
    However when running a VR benchmark the quality & clarity was much more life like.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Some of the new headsets on the market this year would blow you away, Varjo in particular has some crazy high dpi/resolution kit out now.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

$2k for basic unit
    $3700 for mid unit and $800 + for yearly subscription.
    I'll stick with my 49" curved for a while.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Expectation is consumer kit matching Varjo's pro level gear specs is going to start coming soon.